1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New R2 crashes into bed when using Cura

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mstate1981, Jul 31, 2018.

1. mstate1981

mstate1981 New Member

I got a new R2 last week and did the following...

1. Setup Z offset
    2. Printed a couple of test prints from the internal memory. Both printed very well.
    3. Loaded a design file (STL) into Cura and kicked off a print via Octoprint. It went through all the normal motions and then went to the back right corner and promptly lifted the bed into the nozzle making a grinding sound.
    4. Tried other designs from Cura over Octoprint and same result.
    5. Went back to test files and they print great.

So, the gcode in Cura/Octoprint seems to be causing issues. I read several posts and removed the G36 command to no avail - still crashed the bed. I see the gcode from the included files differ greatly at the beginning from the files sent via Octoprint. Am I doing something wrong?

I'd like to print more than just the test files!! :)

#1 mstate1981, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Landstrider likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try another slicer. You may be fighting something incorrectly configured in Cura.
    Not a Cura user myself so I can only point you to their help pages if you want.

3. mstate1981

mstate1981 New Member

Thanks. I will try others - probably Simplify3D. The other thought I had was to go into the gcode scripts in Octoprint and empty those out so none of the pre-print code gets run. Just not sure if there is code which must be there to operate properly.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Autoleveling is probably all that really needs to be there. They have a fair amount in the OctoPrint startup, but really you can simplify it a lot if you need.

Start by emptying it out and see what you get. You really do not want the slicer and OctoPrint adding their own startup blocks...

5. mstate1981

mstate1981 New Member

I started by emptying the start-print script, which wasn't the solution - so I went through step by step and compared it to the test print that worked and finally got a start-print gcode script that did the trick. The only thing I see that doesn't work right is the auto-leveling, so I removed that (G36). Mine seems to run through the auto level with the bed at the bottom....suspect my IR sensor is either dirty or defective. But then again, I just as soon manually level the bed myself and trust that I have it correct.

My UP Plus 2 printer (darn good printer - just small) uses a proprietary slicer that just kinda works out of the box, so I had never really had to fiddle with the gcode before. Now that I have Cura dialed in I can see the flexibility of customizing the gcode to fit different printing needs. I really think a lot of the problems I have read on here about issues people are having can be corrected by adjusting the scripts.

Thanks for the help and I do believe I will try other slicers as well. Any suggestions? I don't mind paying for a slicer if it is good.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Only one I use any longer (except for DLP printers) is Simplify3D.
    Not free, but use it for a week or two and get a refund if it doesn't suit you.

7. Landstrider

Landstrider New Member

I started having the same issues today after 3 successful prints. Did you figure out the problem? The R2 is my first foray into 3D printing. Any help would be appreciated.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The G36 IMO is corrupt. Everyone I know of (unless your using a glass plate on top- then all bets are off) removes the G36 and its fine. To only home where your manual leveling is the only thing doing anything you want your start up script to be empty then input:

G28 ; home all axis

Literally thats all. I've heard other members go ahead and want autolevel so use the old version so the script would be :

G28 ; home all axis
    G29 ; autolevel dance

I dont- just the G28. Now you need to make sure whichever variant you try you only have the start up script in either octoprint (web interface) or in the slicer- not both. I remove everything from the start up script in octoprint and have it in my start up script in my slicer. Personal preference. Nothing more.

9. mstate1981

mstate1981 New Member

The problem I found to be in the start print scripts in octoprint. As Geof said above, you could take everything from the startup script in octoprint and put it in your slicer startup script so that you have it all in one spot, which is nice. But, my octoprint startup script that stopped the bed crashing was...

; set to millimeters
    G21
    ; set to absolute mode
    G90
    ; zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; turn off fans
    M107
    ;non blocking heatup of extruder and bed
    M104 S200
    M140 S60
    ; Robo Leveling - turn it off
    ; G36
    ; pause for 2 seconds
    G4 S2
    ; move to front left corner
    G1 X10 Y1 F7200
    ; heat to priming line temp
    M109 S200
    M140 S60
    ; move bed to printing position
    G1 Z0.3
    ; print 190mm priming line
    G1 X190 E15.0 F500
    ; move bed down
    G1 Z15 F300
    ; zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; set movement speed
    G1 F7200

But since then, I have also switched away from Cura to Simplify3D and always examine my gcode prior to printing a new model. The gcode generated from Simplify3D - that I find works well - is (temperatures should be updated according to your material)...

G90
    M82
    M106 S0
    ; temperatures - varies according to material
    M140 S60
    M190 S60
    M104 S190 T0
    M109 S190 T0
    G92 E0
    G1 E-1.0000 F1800
    G1 Z0.450 F1000
    ; layer 1, Z = 0.45
    T0

...then the model specific gcode from here on.

The startup script above in octoprint with the Simplify3D generated gcode for the model have been working for me.

Basically, I have learned that is always wise to examine the starting section of the model you are going to print to make sure it does what you want and also make sure your octoprint startup is correct. I know many don't want to worry about what is in the gcode, but I find the life of 3D printing is much easier with some basic understanding of what is happening in your gcode.

Hope that helps. I have been getting excellent prints on my R2 since I have taking it on myself to verify the gcode and adjust it accordingly.

Update: also may be good to add the G28 Geof recommended as well. I always make sure I home my printer from the touch screen before starting any print - may as well add that to the script.

Jim

#9 mstate1981, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Jim. If you remove where you are setting your temps you can just run a skirt and void having to change it for every single material in multiple spots, but if it works, it works :D

11. mstate1981

mstate1981 New Member

Good point.

I am going to eliminate the temp setting and priming line in the octoprint script and just let Simplify3D set the temp and do the skirt. That way, no manual changes. I'm also adding the home axis to my octorpint startup script.

Thanks for the input.

#11 mstate1981, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Geof likes this.