1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW R2 wont print test print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Samantha Marquess, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Samantha Marquess

Samantha Marquess New Member

So this is my second ROBO R2. The first I had to replace due to bad wiring.

So I open my new printer and get everything set up and everything is running smoothly. Next step is to do a test print. When I went to files I selected a design, and then once it gets to the screen I push start and then it freezes and I cant press start or go back to the home page. Anyone know what I can do.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What kind of file? STL or CAD?

Have you tried printing it through the browser interface (using the built-in OctoPrint) rather than the LCD?

3. Samantha Marquess

Samantha Marquess New Member

Can you explain to me how I would do this? Sorry I'm new to 3D printing.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Yopz3d

Yopz3d New Member

Hey I have a similar problem can use stl converter and all settings and wizards but when I attempt to start a print the printer freezes up
    I attempted to use octoprint but it’s burying my nozzle into the heat pad if I make any attempts at printing or setting the z axis.
    If anyone knows a good QuickStart guide or could advise it would be much appreciated!

6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

You will need slicing software like Cura or Simplify 3D.

Overview: You would import the model file into the slicing software, set up the printing profile, slice the model and then send the sliced file known as a G-code file to Octoprint for printing.

There are a myriad of details to accomplishing this workflow, but it is not too difficult.

Step 1) Download or create a STL file. That file contains all the information on how the model is shaped.
    Step 2) Install slicing software. Cura is a freeware Open Source program. Simplify 3D is a commercial program which you will have to pay for a license.
    Step 3) Link the slicing software to the R2 printer. @mark tomlinson has posted information on how to accomplish this for Simplify 3D. I have a write up for Cura in the R2 FAQ.
    Step 4) Import the STL file into the slicing software, select a printing profile and slice the model to create the G-code file.
    Step 4a) When a printing profile is being selected, you will need to select the type of filament with which you want the model to be created with. And you will need to load that type of filament in Step 5.
    Step 5) Load the R2 printer with filament. You can use the LCD screen to accomplish this task. Utilities -> Wizards -> Load Filament and follow the on screen instructions.
    Step 6) Export / send the G-code file to Octoprint and watch the magic.

And ask questions if you need more information or advise.

#6 tkoco, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Please verify the software on your R2 printer. Instructions are in the R2 FAQ. ( Found at the top of the Troubleshooting area )