1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA New tape to print on is better !

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by tonycstech, Jan 5, 2019.

1. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

EDIT: This tape does not work with ABS. It provides good adhesion to the bed but ABS does not stick to it for very long even with ABS juice applied (maybe alcohol wipe would help i dont know, ill remove this if it does.). But its very good for PLA

I tried multiple tapes and i made my stop at 3M Blue 2090. (that was until few days ago)
    Printing small PLA objects it was great and it was reusable few times. Even after it no longer sticks, i could wipe it with alcohol to make it last even longer.
    It worked better then anything else i tried printing PLA but it had one problem. Filament did not stick very well at any clean start point, making circles (for example) not as perfect as i want.
    Solution was to wipe it with alcohol and then it was great.

Problem with alcohol was that it provided very good adhesion for filament to grab on BUT part will often come off with the tape.

ALSO, tape its self does not adhere to the bed very well and causing large models to pull tape off the bed.
    0105192156.jpg

Then i found this one tape. It provides very good adhesion on contact both for PLA
    Its 3M Scotch Orange 2022
    How ever, one down side of this tape (while it provides much better adhesion to both filament and bed) removing print will often remove the tape as well.

Tape holds on to the bed strong enough to print larger PLA parts without pulling the tape off the bed of your model corners start to curl up.
    It also adheres to the model better and helps keeping corners flat, preventing curling

I think everyone should give it a try.
    0105191629.jpg
    0105191651.jpg

#1 tonycstech, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.