1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Taulman nylon 'Bridge'

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Printed Solid, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I just learned last night that Taulman has released a new Nylon and is calling it Bridge. As in it is a bridge between properties of ABS and 618.

The stated benefits of this material are that it has close to the same strength, flexibility, and temperature resistance as 618, but is easier to use. It can be printed on a PVA (glue) coated bed, has less tendency to warp, and only absorbs minimal moisture. No bakeout should be required prior to printing.

The other pro is that cost is a little lower. Should be just under $20 for a 1 lb spool.

I have some on order and will post results. Anyone else want to get in on the early adopter group?

3 people like this.
  2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I would give it a try..
    Dean

2 people like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, likewise.

2 people like this.
  4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I'm pretty excited about it. Nylon is such an awesome printing material, but it is so tricky.

5. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Wow at that price it is hard to pass up. I will look forward to your results and thoughts on it Matt.

2 people like this.
  6. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

I should be getting a few spools of "Bridge" filament sometime tomorrow. I got the impression that "Bridge" has the strength of 645 nylon:
    http://taulman3d.com/bridge-features.html

Either way still looking forward to seeing the improvements of printing vs nylon 618.

7. Printed Solid

Staff Member

8. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I've only had a chance to print one part because I have a bunch of parts in queue that are other materials. Granted, this isn't a particularly tricky one, but it stuck quite well to glue stick on kapton with no observable warpage at the base. This was printed on a raft and the raft peeled off easily. 2014-03-23 10.52.28.jpg
    It feels about as strong as the other nylons. Specifically that wicked stress concentration at the base flange doesn't seem to budge when I push on it pretty hard.

3 people like this.
  9. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Looks nice, Matt! I hope my experience matches yours... Now you need a teeny Archimedan marble to watch go around...

2 people like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Went ahead and ordered some, you sold me :)
    (and I have been wanting to experiment with the nylon anyway)

11. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

What temp are you printing at? (for those of you already printing it) Speeds?

12. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Same settings as 645. A 'true' 245 is best with slow settings below ~50mm/s or so. I ran my first print at 250. I did heat the bed to 70-90 from what I had read elsewhere, but I don't know how necessary that is.

13. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Thanks, Matt. Got it today... try it tomorrow.

14. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

OK. Tried it and, well, wow. My 8 y.o. son ran out of glue sticks, so I printed with a raft on clean blue tape. 245 degrees at 30mms with an initial bed temp of 75 and I got a small amount of warpage, but not enough to either damage or ruin the print. It came out great. Strong, a little flexible and perfect for my use of this part. The raft was quite firmly attached. The pics show the finished top and shape and the warpage. It appears to be worse than it is in fact. I really like this stuff! 20140326_111807.jpg View attachment 2509

Attached Files:

15. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Awesomeness! You should find that once you get that glue, your adhesion will be perfect and there will be little to no warping.

I've been printing stuff for customers, so I can't share the pics, but I am really liking this material as well. Hopefully will do some of my own this weekend to share.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I used 245 and 50 for the bed, it warped a bit on the first 1/2 dozen layers.
    I am going to retry with 90 deg. for the bed.

I love how flexible this stuff is. Really cool.

17. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Use brim (6-10) layers and that will help too. Higher bed temps may not work well due to the differential between ambient and bed temps, but certainly worth a try. It is amazingly strong, don't you think? Glue stick is excellent, too. No tape or hair spray... Show us a pic!

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm trying to print this now. It seems like it has extrusion issues at higher speeds. I'm going to try tuning down to 30mm/s and see if that can get me to extrude properly.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I did not have any speed related issues, but the temperature had to be at least 245 or it extruded slowly (which would probably have the same effect)..

20. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Are you using the Bowden, Mike?