1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New to 3D printing and have questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mctyler13, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Mctyler13

Mctyler13 New Member

I just bought the ROBO 3D R1 + and will get it on Wednesday and have been reading these forums for tips and such and have a few questions.

1. What kind of tools should I get to upkeep my ROBO?
    2. What kind of tools are needed to help with finished prints?
    3. When upgrading nozzles what does it change when you go from a .5mm to say a .4mm or .8mm?
    4. I have seen the upgrades you can do like changing to the E3D v6 and changing glass to aluminum what do most people agree are good or needed upgrades?

If any can give me any useful tips that they can think of I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The R1+ "needs" nothing in terms of upgrades out of the box. When something breaks or needs replacement, then consider upgrading it.

Well, generally speaking, the resolution of the print changes. There is a rule-of-thumb that layer height needs to be 30%-70% of the nozzle diameter. [the default nozzle is 0.4mm and the default layer height is 0.2mm -- smack in the middle] If you consider the nozzle diameter the width of the plastic you are putting down then layer height is the 'height' or tallness of that layer. So obviously as those numbers go down or up the size of the layers will change and there will be more or less granularity. Does this really change things? Somewhat. To really see it'es effect you would need to go from one extreme to another. Smaller layer heights allow you to do finer resolutions an smaller prints with more detail (but at slower speeds). Larger nozzles and layer heights mean a bit less resolution but much faster print times.

Geof likes this.