1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New to 3D Printing, Software suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Stera8, May 27, 2017.

1. Stera8

Stera8 Member

I am enjoying my C2 so far as my first printer. I have mastered TinkerCAD for creation and editing already great files from Thingiverse, but I'm not sure which software to move to next. The C2 gives you a year free of Adobe Fusion, but it seems a little overwhelming. I may take a course on Udemy to learn a software. Any recommendations? What should be the next step in software creation after TinkerCAD?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Nobody can tell you the best modeling software, experiment with all the free ones. I use fusion 360

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Stera8 The free subscription to Fusion is just a marketing ploy. Fusion 360 is free to entrepreneurs and startups that make less than $100,000 on a year to year basis. It is free to Academics on a three year basis. So basically it is free unless you run a bigger business.

Google has SketchUp
    Autodesk also has TinkerCAD
    FreeCAD is OSS
    OpenSCAD iis OSS and fits mathematical thinkers
    OnShape has a web based 3D modeling suite

And if you are more artistic than mechanical there is always something like Blender.

Stera8, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

SolidWorks has both student and veteran discounts. The discounts they offer vary by country.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Sculptris is also a really powerful bit of software for the less mechanical/more artistic bend of modeling.

6. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

They are ALL overwhelming at first.

I started with google sketchup it sucked. ( google no longer owns it though I don't think )

Then I went to Moment of Inspiration which is great, has a 30 day trial for free otherwise its about $300 http://moi3d.com/

But.. once I went to Fusion 360( free ), I have not touched moment of inspiration.( which I paid for )

There is tons of tutorials on fusion 360 and Moment of inspiration on youtube. ( and every other CAD program )

I tried blender for awhile, but its more of an organic artist modeling program. I have a math brain and like to sketch and extrude in easily seen dimensions.

Stera8, Geof and WheresWaldo like this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I like fusion, I suppose the paid software for the art style modelers (organic) would be Z Brush. Very expensive but powerful. Downside...very little to no demensional control of what your doing. You'd have to scale in a different program (slicer works)