1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New User, Introduction and Questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Narwhal, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Narwhal

Narwhal New Member

Hello, New User (of this printer and 3D printing in general)

I recently inherited a Robo 3D R1+ that was going to be scrapped.

Thanks to this and other forums, I diagnosed a blocked extruder and fixed it. Ta-daa... printer works! Well... sorta. Cleaned it up, lubricated the rails, re-seated the Z posts....

Right now running Matter Control v1.5 through the USB cable to the printer.
    Also downloaded Cura (v 4.6.1) and it is not working reliably (seems to lose connectivity in the middle of a print, extruder temp starts to drop).

Did some digging, looks like I need to start using the SD card. Time to learn that!

Assets:
    1. Time. Got plenty of that (kids are back in school, hooray!)
    2. Some tech knowledge (used to use G and M codes all the time... but it's been a while). Regularly maintain a machine shop for a High School Robotics team. If that doesn't prepare me for this, nothing will.
    3. Tools. Have a whole workshop in the garage.

Goals:
    1. Print costume accessories for my kids. Baby Yoda and the Mandalorian are BIG hits here.
    2. Get PETG to print. My test cubes are... squashy.

Questions:
    1. LCD screen? would like to get one, thanks to searching this forum there are several available online (Amazon, etc.). Can't post links yet (my account is new) so any recommendations welcome
    2. Best place to buy a new nozzle? The one on the printer is pretty gunked up (clearly this printer was abused) and I'm ASSUMING its a 0.4 mm, but who knows....
    3. List of spares I should have?
    4. Tips on using the SD card?
    5. Any other hints or recommendations?

Nice to "meet" everyone!
    Chris, aka "Narwhal"

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are two main options for LCD screens. One looks like A the other like B. Note that I am not promoting either of the links -- search Amazon for similar as there are a lot of sellers. The links are more for pictures and details...

A requires no changes to the firmware, just plug it in and you are good to go. Called the RepRap Doscount LCD
    B requires a minor update to the firmware. Called the Full Graphics LCD

A
    https://smile.amazon.com/BIQU-Display-Controller-2004LCD-Adapter/dp/B01FLU9X5Q

B
    https://smile.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Controlador-inteligente-impresora-controlador/dp/B07X378P8X

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nozzles can be had anywhere that sells E3D compatible nozzles.
    Brass ones wear out eventually, stainless steel lasts longer and Hardened steel lasts.... a really long time.

As long as you don't get MakerBot nozzles you are fine (those have a different thread) stick with E3D compatible.

Narwhal likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

To use the SD card you first slice the model and then save the sliced file as a .GC file. Name it in 8 characters or less and use the .GC file extension (eg: MYFILE.GC).
    Copy this over to the root directory of the SD card (which needs to be formatted FAT32).
    Pop the SD card into the printer and then you can launch the print from your host program (Simplify3D, MatterControl, Repetier host, whatever you use), The exact steps will vary by which program you use :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

When I had one printer I went and printed every single printable part for the printer (I can get you a list from thingiverse if you need).
    That way if it broke, I could swap it. Once I ended up with more (too many more) printers I didn't worry about it and just print the part I need when it fails :)

In addition to printed parts you probably want to get some LM8UU bearings since the printer has a lot of those on the smooth rods. They will eventually wear out and need replacement.

You may want to consider spare electronics parts and if so then I suggest you get one of teh all-in-one kits from amazon -- here is an example: https://smile.amazon.com/Aokin-Printer-Controller-Arduino-Heatsink/dp/B07Q5R6YSK

if you want one that includes steppers: https://smile.amazon.com/Longruner-Arduino-Professional-Mechanical-LKB02/dp/B072N4FMRN

Again, not promoting a vendor just giving you examples -- shop around.

Narwhal likes this.
  6. Narwhal

Narwhal New Member

Mark, you are a 3D printing angel - thank you!!

7. Narwhal

Narwhal New Member

Mark, just to be clear - the kit you linked above " I suggest you get one of teh all-in-one kits from amazon -- here is an example" includes the "Option B" LCD screen, correct?

(it looks like the "Option B, need a firmware update" LCD screen from several posts above, but I've misread things before).

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you look at them you can see that the Option A (reprap discount LCD) is a smaller 4 line display. The Full graphics one (option b) is more square an larger...

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are going to want to learn how to deal with the firmware at some point. Either there will be a feature you want to add or something that needs tweaking so don't let that be a major stumbling point for you. The FAQ post in the top of the troubleshooting forum has details on updating the firmware.

Narwhal likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member