1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New User Observations

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dan S., Dec 9, 2018.

1. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

New user here, both to 3D printing and Robo R2 that I purchased a few weeks ago.

Couple of observations...

• Unit was packaged very well, very easy to setup and get running
    • Printed out the tube and cap, and garden gnome with no problems
    • Have never been able to get a good print of the 3D Benchy boat
    • I setup the printer at my shop and hoped to monitor/control it from home. Was disappointed to find out that to use the remote app, you have to be on the same local network as the R2... Found on the web that there is a fix - setup a VPN but I'm no network guru. I did setup a TeamViewer session per advice of another member on these forums so I could at least monitor it while printing (it needs better lighting). Have since brought the unit home.
    • When I began running out of the filament that was supplied with the unit, I looked up some filament reviews and decided to try IC3D PLA which is rated at 200 - 240c. Tried to setup a new PLA in Cura, copying from existing PLA and change print temp settings but could not figure it out so I downloaded NotePad++ and just find and replace the extruder temp settings
    • Unfortunately, I was never able to get really good prints with this brand - I had to run it at 230c to flow which worked on short prints, but anything over maybe an hour and a half caused a clogged nozzle which I'm guessing to be is from heat creep?
    • Got it unclogged and ordered a roll of PLA from Robo and it is running well now (at 205c). Wish Robo had included a few acupuncture needles with the R2... Also wish that I could order a second hot end for a spare, but it's not available - yet.
    • Filament sensor started indicating that I was out of material (I wasn't) so more help from the forum here to disable the sensor. Have not contacted ROBO support on this yet as it really isn't a problem for me.
    • Too many server disconnect/reboots to count, but ran fine yesterday and seems to be doing ok today (printing the scissor lift as I write)
    • The USB drives I use won't dismount from the R2 properly... always have to repair them before I can use them again - multiple brands, storage capacities
    • Robo support has been good is answering my questions and following up to see if my problem was solved
    • Pretty rapid learning curve on Autodesk Fusion 360 thanks to youtube videos by Lars Christensen and Paul McWhorter
    • So... all in all, a mildly bumpy start for me. I've worked with milling machines for decades and saw the addition of NC and then CNC controls so I'm used to a more stable/mature technology which is causing a little bit of frustration but we're getting there.
    Thanks for all the info I've found on the forum - appreciate it!
    Dan

#1 Dan S., Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you paid as much for the printer as my CNC machine then yea, the Stratsys 3D printer works pretty solid :)

All joking aside ... for the price points most 3D printers today are anywhere from "decent" to "awesome"

The gantry style used by the R2 has the potential for the latter, but they are machines and getting them setup correctly is 99% of the battle. If you have any issues, questions, we have a rich and deep user community here so someone can certainly give you a hand.

and WELCOME!

supercazzola and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

2nd that and welcome !

supercazzola likes this.
  4. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Updates...

Gave up on Cura and bought Simplify 3D which to me seems a lot more intuitive, and it solved a lot of my problems. Now able to print with both Robo and IC3D PLA - also got the IC3D down from 230c to 205c which, to date, has eliminated the heat creep. The custom supports are awesome.

Another feature I like is that when I bring my .stl file into Simplify 3D it automatically asks me if I want to convert from inches to mm. I've been programming in inches for decades and I don't want to get into millimeters now.

Experienced my first layer shifting (y axis) and went thru all the set screws on the pulleys twice. Printing now and everything seems fine. Has anyone ever put thread locker on the set screws?

Still having issues with the USB drives not unmounting properly but I can live with it.

Thanks!
    Dan

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Always.

Glad you got it going.
    S3D seems to be an easier transition for folks who have some CNC/Lathe experience too (that is just my 2 pfennig)
    Certainly worth the cost (and compared to CNC/Lathe software it is... cheap).

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. Every machine, every set screw.

So cheap and yet still people complain on the cost :)

7. Randy Taillon

Randy Taillon New Member

I'm pretty new to this also and Simplify3D fixed a lot of my issues. I picked up a gently used R2 for a song so it'll be pretty hard to knock it.

I'm helping my brother in law get into the hobby and we are setting up a Wanhau Duplicator I3 Plus. Their version of Cura is much more current and night and day different from what Robo provides. Printer is pretty impressive as well.

I've put about a hundred hours on the R2 since I got it around Thanksgiving and It finally gave me the out of filament error today. Nothing worked other than disabling it.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can set up a profile for any version of cura for the Robo series printers. Be thankful, it use to be matter control and it was HOT GARBAGE lol.

Put in a request for a replacement runout set up with Robo. Might as well get the free parts. More than likely the switch blade fell off the switch (cheap switches). Switch one more time because I've said it alot lol.

But in all seriousness- do it- get them to send a replacement :D. Other than that yes, disabling makes it all work fine :D

mark tomlinson likes this.