1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

In addition to the lack of communication I'm also annoyed that they shipped out of order. I'm sure my order was one of the first in on April 10th.

3 people like this.
  2. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

I am still waiting from April. Just a word from them would help.

3. Jaeson Cardiff

Jaeson Cardiff Active Member

Hey there. So I've went and bought what I believe are reasonable facsimiles of the y axis upgrade and have connected them to the board (D8 for the bed, T1 for the thermistor) Neither of them are registering with the software which leads me to believe that I need to change the software I was using, to something that includes a heated bed. Do I need a new driver or mod to my software? I've tried to see if this has been done before with non OEM stuff but to no avail.

Cheers

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

No idea what you mean "not registering with the software". Did you ever reflash the firmware? If not just use this firmware: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/marlin-firmware-update-3-14-14.1857/ . You might need to modify configuration.h to specify your thermistor type. If you have an all metal hot end you can increase the hot end max temp in it as well.

5. Jaeson Cardiff

thanks Steve,

I am running the stock end on the pla beta model. I havent flashed the firmware yet. i figured id ask a few questions first. thanks for the link. Im using a 100K thermistor and a reprap heatbed. I plugged the two wires that I soldered to the board to D8 and the two thermistor wires to T1. When i run MC it doesnt read the actual temp nor does it heat up.

Ill try the firmware. cheers and thanks again.

6. Jaeson Cardiff

Nope. Ran a multi meter on d8. No juice. Im pretty confident in my solder joints. Flashed the arduino. Everything works except the bed. Any ideas?

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

It's hooked up right. Do you get any sort of temperature error from the host? I don't use MatterControl so I'm not familiar with it's messages. I'm thinking that if the thermistor reading is incorrect maybe the firmware is shutting down the heater. Normally you would get an error from this. I normally just print from the SD card on an XXL LCD and the LCD would display this error. I used to use Repetier Host and it would display it on the status line I think.

Did you put your Ohm meter on the plug side of the thermistor and does it act like a thermistor? High resistance is low temperature. You should see it go down if you heat the thermistor with your fingers.

8. Jaeson Cardiff

You bet. I checked the leads to see if they read the drop when I used a heat gun on the bed. Im stumped.

9. Jaeson Cardiff

No errors on MC. It doesnt show anything other than 0C

10. Jaeson Cardiff

Im using pin connectors. Im wondering if i should solder the leads directly to the board.

11. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Please be more clear on what you did and observed. So, are you saying that the thermistor works at the leads? You observe a resistance change with the multimeter when changing it's temperature? If MC is registering 0C then there is an open or really high resistance between the thermistor leads, right?

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I would not solder directly to the RAMPS pins. Do you have a bad pin connector? Should be easy to check out.

13. Jaeson Cardiff

Thanks Steve. I removed the pin connector from the board and tested the resistance at room temperature. It showed 125 ohms. As the bed temp increased from the heat gun the resistance dropped. I stopped testing at 70 ohms. The pins seem fine. I read a little blurb somewhere that stated that the D8 terminals wont power up until a signal is shown on the T1 terminals. The thermistor for the hot end works fairly accurately (+/- 5°) and the bed temp shows 0°C.

14. Jaeson Cardiff

Problem solved. It was the pin connector. It looked proper. I changed it out anyway and now it works. Thanks again for your help. It speaks volumes of your character.

Cheers

J

4 people like this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

No problem Jason,
    For future reference I think you meant 125K Ohms at room temperature not 125;).

16. Jaeson Cardiff

17. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

FYI, I send Braydon an email about customer communications and it looks like they took it to heart and sent this out to Y axis upgrade customers.
    ---
    OCT 13, 2014 | 02:54PM PDT
    Jerry Team Robo3D replied:
    Dear Customers,

I want to apologize very sincerely for the extremely long delay on fulfilling the Y axis and auto level kit orders. You have not been forgotten. I apologize that I have not written to you sooner.
    Things at Robo3D are going well. We have seen a steady increase in demand for our main product, the Robo3D R1. Because of that, all of our staff in our workshop are constantly occupied with preparing machines for shipping to customers. Also, that means we have had more customers that need support which has completely occupied my time.

This week we will finally be caught up with printer orders and I will be able to put 100% of our labor towards finishing Y axis upgrade kits and auto level kits.
    I want to thank all of you for being as patient as you have been. I know that several of you are upset and we completely understand. We would not be where we are today if we did not have supportive and understanding customers like you and we promise to do it better in the future.

For the mean time we have stopped selling the upgrade kits because we have not been able to keep a steady flow of parts coming in from our suppliers and have been completely preoccupied with prepping R1 machines. It is my hope that we can offer the upgrade kits again in the future for our customers that have earlier versions of our product.

You will be getting your upgrade kits shortly. Please keep an eye out for the shipment confirmation email.

Sincerely,
    Jerry
    Team Robo 3D
    www.robo3d.com

18. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

Did not get that in my in-box. Maybe they have just forgotten me completely. We will see.

19. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

No email here either

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

For anyone who didn't get the email, please contact me with the email you ordered under. Or any email you've bought from robo3d with.