1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

First post.

The upgrade includes:
    One full length sheet of Borosilicate glass Print Bed with a heating pad adhered to the underside
    A detachable Print Bed system complete with neodymium magnets and a wire plug for detaching the wires directly at the bed.
    A newly designed middle plate that allows the bed wires to travel through it and remain out of sight under the print bed
    Two pillow blocks that each hold two rail guiding linear motion bearings to the middle plate
    Two specially plated smooth rods designed for use with linear motion systems
    Two end brackets that hold the assembly together
    New Y belt attachment and tension adjustment system

It will be a major upgrade and I have been holding off on my other mods since it will be easier to do them while doing this upgrade.

2. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Well, I'll eat my words then. In that case it is a great deal at that price point. Assembly will still require you to take apart damn near 80% I would imagine. A note to anyone who does get their hands on it, take off the threaded and smooth rods, last thing you want to do is accidentally "hit" one and break a smooth rod mount or a coupler (I broke a coupler this way a few months ago)

3. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Guess it'd be a good time to put on some of the improved smooth rod mounts, then, if you've got to disassemble most of it anyway.

4. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Jerry, when will the bill of materials and design files be available?

5. Drew Eby

Drew Eby Member

Yes these two items will be available. Give us sometime to prepare it though so as to best present it.

6. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Just purchased the Kit, 9 days earlier than estimated. Seem's the Robo team are really getting the hang of it!

I have been running smooth rods for a while now, as have many of us, but I'm still excited for this kit. It's a major improvement and R2 will be a pretty wicked machine.

I was just wondering though, does the shop front end make it obvious if you are ordering a back order or not?

[​IMG]
    To clarify the Middle plate questions, its pictured here. I haven't checked thingiverse yet to see if they've put the files for this kit up yet, or if they have a github for it?

4 people like this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I got confirmation from Robo support that the glass is 4mm thick. I'm hoping it will be flatter and warp less than the current 3mm beds.

8. Jay

Jay New Member

Kevyn, I asked the very same question earlier and this is the answer:

" if you place your order and the item is not out of stock yet, you are in the first batch."

9. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Soooooo the estimate I got originally when these were being discussed was $60, with shipping. The actual price today for me if I order is $150. That's... quite a difference.

I don't really have any way to put this besides: What the hell?

10. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Chances are when they originally quoted $60 that was with out something, my guess would be either not the middle plate OR not the glass bed. From what I understand the decision was made to ONLY offer full kits i.e all the parts. I take it autopsy that the extra $50 is in shipping? If so it is unfortunate but shipping shouldn't be taken into account when you are comparing the price. $100 for a new linear system, improved bed, and improved middle plate (note the slots to run wires including one for each of the end-stop switches).

11. Jay

Jay New Member

I cant comment on what you were told Autopsy but I just checked my email from Jerry on the 5th Feb and he quoted me $100 for the upgrade and about $40 shipping to Australia.

The only difference from the original quote I received is the shipping which has come in at $59. For an estimate 2 months ago I'd say it was pretty close.

12. 330SC

330SC Member

I just hope I made it in on the first batch. I ordered right after I got the email from Jerry yesterday at about 6pm est so its probable. Honestly I don't see it making a significant improvement in my machine cuz it is working flawlessly. The removable bed will be nice though

13. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

$59 shipping to Australia? The quote I received is $175.81 shipping to UK.

That is some difference

14. SoLongSidekick

$178 on top of the $100 for the upgrade? I ship stuff internationally at work all day and that seems a bit high, especially since this can't weigh more than 10 pounds max. It sounds like the shipping estimator script screwed up.

As far as the cost of the upgrade goes, I'm not sure what was expected to be included for $40 but the kit is a good deal at $100. Autopsy, do you have the email where someone said $40?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

15. Ivan Holm

Ivan Holm New Member

whare do we find the opensource files to the new mod on the y-axis, that robo3d is opensource.

16. SoLongSidekick

As said a few replies up they haven't prepared them yet.

17. Ivan Holm

Ivan Holm New Member

you just talked about shipping and robo3d store to sent them. I Will properly Laser-cut them in the Local Hacker space. :)

18. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

They have just refunded $115 so I am guessing it was an error on the script or something.

19. scotta

scotta Active Member

Likewise, shipping to Singapore went down from circa 160 to about 50-60. Very happy about that.

20. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

My shipping to New Zealand was just over $200 USD which i was happy to pay, but the great team at Robo3d noticed this and found a much better way to ship to me in little old New Zealand for $60 USD and refunded me the difference.

I have been so impressed with the customer service from the team at Robo3d, and im also very appreciative of the fact that they are human, not some sterile corporation only out to make $.

Seriously cannot wait for my new parts to arrive.

Anyone have any idea when they will ship?