1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NinjaFlex filament

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Melody Bliss, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Just an FYI. I referenced this posting in the FAQ. Thanks codeblue :)

2. codeblue

codeblue New Member

I'm glad you found this helpful. I have been wrestling with NinjaFlex for a few weeks now so it was nice to finally see it actually extrude.

3. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Wait codeblue you completely disabled retraction? Did you have any issues with stringys? It makes sense that it would help keep the filament feeding but it seems like it might make a print really messy as well.

4. codeblue

codeblue New Member

SoLongSidekick,

I got this idea from the ninjaflex website as I recall and seems to work well. The elastic nature of the ninjaflex does not lend itself well to retraction.

5. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Do you end up with a stringy mess?

6. Alex Moule

Alex Moule Member

Met the E3D guys at a RichRep seminar a few weeks back and they were giving out free samples. When I told them I hadn't upgraded my hotend yet the guy smiled and said that getting it to work would be extremely difficult and they have a direct feed machine back at the office specifically for Ninjaflex.

Thanks for the UHU tip Sanjay it has worked brilliantly!

They also gave a great talk about their hotend which I will be purchasing soon. If you're reading this guys it was great to meet you all!

7. Jack_Adamczuk

Jack_Adamczuk New Member

I just publish thread about NinjaFlex

8. Darkhunter12

Darkhunter12 New Member

If I install this brass tube should I leave it there when I am printing with other materials or remove it?

9. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

If its anything like T-glase, slow means 10-15mm/s tops. Ive gotten a few decent prints with T-glases but only at speeds that make me wonder if the machine is actually moving :p

10. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

@Darkhunter12 I haven't tried putting in a tube like that yet, but I think it would probably work well with other materials if you leave it in place.

11. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

@Mikethinks; I print t-glase at anywhere from 30-50mm/s without issue. How hot are you trying to print? It needs some heat. I use 245C and also find that a larger nozzle is helpful but I often print big layers. Oops. Didn't mean to hijack thread... just curious.

2 people like this.
  12. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Since I have a stock hotend I cant go 245 :) Its 225ish and sloooooow....but purdy

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well I will be trying out soon hopefully it is very crazy stuff though I tried braking a piece of it of the roll just to play with and I could not do it I had to cut it. It should be interesting on the bowden

14. Jefferyfish

Jefferyfish New Member

NinjaFlex is a difficult friend. I've read all of the threads, done plenty of research outside of the Robo3d forums, and am now in the middle of attempt #3. I am tentatively pleased to say it's going "ok-ish". It's printing, it hasn't clogged, but I don't have the layer fidelity I am expecting. I notice that the extruded material gets a little weak from time to time.

My current R1 settings:

Layer Height: 0.3
    Speed: Infill:15 - Inside Per:12 - Outside Per:10 - Support:15 - Bridges:15 - Min Print Speed:9 - Travel:30 - 1st Layer Speed:100%
    1st Layer Width: 125%
    Extrusion Multiplier: 1
    Temperature: 230
    Bed Temp: 0
    Nozzle Diameter: 0.4
    Retraction Length: 2
    Retraction Speed: 15
    +Filament guide

I'll post a picture of my current print once it's completed.

Update: I ran into bottom layer adhesion issues. Not a huge problem since I didn't pay particular care in that department since this was a test print. As you'll see via the attached photo, the layer quality was fairly poor. I have more research and testing to do, to say the least. NinjaFlex_Test_Print_110914_B.jpg

#34 Jefferyfish, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
    2 people like this.
  15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Fat nozzle, slow speeds and something to prevent the jam (I use the plastic tube method).
    I didn't really have an issue with it sticking. So far I have only used it for small special use parts.

16. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I haven't really perfected ninja, but, from other threads I've read, that kind of surface finish tends to be associated with temps too high.

2 people like this.
  17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably as much art as science with that stuff.
    (that is my excuse anyway)

18. Jefferyfish

Jefferyfish New Member

That's not too surprising considering I was running this at 235 as a test. I think I am going to shelf NinjaFlex till I get a larger diameter nozzle. I'll report back once I have that mod in place.

19. Bjorn

Bjorn Member

This is what I have printed so far with ninjaflex, some rubber caps for connectors.

I found out that for best results the extrusion/feedrate must be kept at a constant rate, this gives the best adhesion and looks.
    Also do not forget to turn retract off.

--edit--

I forgot to say, I'm using a E3D v6 hotend, 0.4mm, and the PTFE tube all the way to the hobbed bolt.

Attached Files:

#39 Bjorn, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  20. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

So... I got a spool of yellow ninjaflex yesterday. When I print it, it works fine for a while and then gets wrapped up around the hobbled bolt. I took a piece of brass tubing and inserted it into the feed hole with the top end being just beneath the hobbled bolt. It then printed for about twice as long, and once again wrapped around the bolt. So far i've tried (to no effect):

turning speed down to 10 mm/s
    turning retraction off
    filament guide
    filament tensioner
    retraction speed

Anyone know a fix?