1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer No thermistor works properly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Byron Todd, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Byron Todd

Byron Todd New Member

Hi,

First I would like to thank the posters who contribute so much to this forum. It has been So helpful while figuring out the world of 3d printing.

Now, my problem originated when the original thermistor that came with my R1 + shorted out and was throwing errors if the wires moved a little bit. After that, I switched to the E3D v6 hot end and performed the firmware changes to change the thermistor type. However, once I changed to the E3D v6 I could not get the temperature to read properly. No matter what I tried I could extrude at 110c which means that the temperature was much hotter than it was reading. I used a infrared thermometer to confirm this. When the thermistor reads 110c the true temperature is about 190c.

I changed the thermistor to some others that were bought on Amazon without any luck. I even rotated through all of the options in the firmware despite other people in the reviews on Amazon saying that #5 was the correct type in the firmware. Finally, I got some thermistors from Robo and switched the firmware back to the original. I am still having the same error! The temperature is still reading too high.

Now my question; In your opinion is this caused by the ramps board or the power supply or something else? I have tried many thermistors and I can't believe that this is a thermistor problem any longer.

Also possibly of note:
    * The power supply makes a very loud noise for the first 2 min after turning it on. I am not sure if this is normal or if it indicates a PSU problem.
    *I am currently using the E3D volcano mod

Thank you so much for your help!

#1 Byron Todd, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That or the Arduino is all that is left. :)

The power supply fan is probably noisy and may be getting worn.

Byron Todd likes this.
  3. Byron Todd

Byron Todd New Member

Thank you for the confirmation Mark.

In that case I will most likely attempt to change the board to the generic ramps 1.4.

Is the replacement of the board covered under the warranty even though I changed the hot end?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Should be, I see no reason why that would matter.
    Not sure that they have any R1+ boards in stock any longer, but worth a call