1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Non-warping, no smell, PET filament

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Ruser, Aug 30, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

My Yellow ESUN PETG from amazon had a rough ribbed texture..but OMG it prints AWESOME!

I had to order 2 more spools ordered a black and and orange now.

very first try at printing with PETG.. forgot to turn support on..didn't need it came out great...like one tiny string on his nose and that it the rest was just great!. Never could get colorfabb XT to print anywhere near this good.

235 nozzle
    80 bed
    PLA cooling fan was on at 100% after the first layer.
    .2mm layerheight
    The rest was all stock Simplify3d settings.

If this stuff is heat resistant and less brittle than PLA..im never buying abs again. I'm super impressed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#21 KTMDirtFace, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Glad to hear the yellow is so good. I had trouble with the orange, had to resort to all the tricks to keep it from warping. PETG likes thicker layers, I usually print now at 0.25 mm with a 0.4 mm nozzle, 2 perimeters and 2 bottom, 4 top layers with about 30% infill. any thicker on the bottom and you will loose a clear view of the infill and risk the very edges pulling up. I have printed as fine as 0.1 mm and while it came out okay, PETG was very hard to bridge over sparse infill. Please note that my orange roll was from the very first batch than Interservo (Amazon) received. I ordered another and it will be here tomorrow. Hope that one prints a bit easier.

3. KTMDirtFace

Waldo, I just got a spool of Orange, and Solid Black ESUN PETG..

WTF? I cannot get the orange to stick to the bed.. ( print is rather large but the first layer wont stick very well at all. ).. Im using same settings as the yellow and black. even tried bumping simplfy3d first layer up to 150% so it shoves out more material..nope..no sticky. really weird! the black and yellow ones i have are awesome.

The orange also seems to oooze a ton kinda like the colorfabbXT i could never get to print right.

I'm going to try to print it in yellow and see how that goes..but its strange for sure..lots of oozing and balling coming off the nozzle with orange. didn't see any of that previously with black or yellow.

EDIT: Maybe something else is going on.. I just switched to yellow and am having the same problem now.

EDIT 2: Now I don't know what is going on.. its acting like colorfabbXT for me now ( Oozing and balling up all over the nozzle constantly... I don't get it .. cant print with this stuff at all now )

#23 KTMDirtFace, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Clean out your extruder. I told you the orange was difficult! I ended up going real slow to get the orange to stick, like 5 mm per second slow! I guess I should have tried yellow instead.

5. KTMDirtFace

Well i cant even print pla now..so I dont have a clue what happend. Nothing sticks very well anymore.. off to troubleshoot.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Has anyone else noticed that Black PETG needs more extruder temperature than most of the other varieties? I am about 7-10°C warmer than the translucents in order to get a good flow from the extruder.

Does anyone know if the White is the same way?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not surprised. I have noticed that sort of thing with other filaments (although not always to that extent).

8. Ruser

Ruser New Member

The carbon they put it probably absorbs the heat. And for what, the titanium might too.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So far the only problem version is Orange, and I think @KTMDirtFace will back me on this observation. It is the hardest version of PETG to get to print well.

Other than temp a bit higher, I have no issues with the black.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay, here is my comment on PET-G, now that I have used it for some time now. I will NEVER use Orange PET-G again! Every other version I have tried works exactly the way I expect it to. but the orange is in a world all its own, and it's not this one!

(If I could get the NEVER to blink I would).

One other note, the black is really shiny when printed. Probably the shiniest filament I have used so far.

As an aside, I also have issues with translucent orange ABS. It has to be whatever chemical used as an orange pigment.

11. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

The orange (magenta) PETG from ESUN is printing as good for me as any other PETG Filament from Winbo or Synergy - look here:
    http://fpv-community.de/showthread....s-ABS-oder-PLA&p=877659&viewfull=1#post877659

Anyway, sufficient cooling is the key for reduced stringing, good bridging and overhangs...
    I have exiled PLA and ABS from my Robo3d as PETG is the best to print.

[​IMG]

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@lemuba Okay, I went to the whole thread you pointed to, only one guy printed something in orange and it was the little owl. Unless I am going blind, your craftsman birdhouse was printed in natural PETG.

I'm sticking by my statements that orange is the most difficult of all the PETG filaments.

13. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

On the black I had to goto 270c with an end v6 extruder before it would stick to the bed. I extruded 100mm and paid attention if it sticker to itself or not, 270c worked.

The black is a true black with a nice luster (shiny).

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@David Sparrow you said it, the black is really shiny, almost too shiny! It is much blacker than the spool of eSun PLA I have here. I really wished they made a translucent Black (smoke colored). Then it would be perfect. The Hatchbox translucent black ABS I have used is no where near smoke colored, it turns silver when printed.

15. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

Hey now don't go changing something perfect. If I was going to do a Darth Vader mask this would be my first choice nothing else works. I think what you are looking for is tglase black.

16. KTMDirtFace

My problem with the Orange was not an orange problem. Something got out of whack on my printer.

I'm printing fine in Orange, Black, and the yellow Esun PETG. all 3 I print with Simplify3d PLA settings default settings except I changed the nozzle to 230 and bed to 80

17. KTMDirtFace

Fan Duct in Orange Esun PETG I have printed this in PLA, ColorfabbXT and ABS. ColorfabbXT and ABS both had issues. Pla was fine.. esun Orange turned out great. The best part was I printed with supports(simplify3d) and I pulled it out in once piece like an accordian. I just grabbed the end and yanked... in PLA it snaps, same with ABS.. so i had to dig bits out with those materials.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sonny's Robo3D likes this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am having better luck now with the eSUN orange PETG, but orange ABS is kicking my butt.

19. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

Anyone able to tell me how you deal with The slow cool rate on layer that take only a couple of seconds. The material leaves hot liquid mess nearly a centimeter high. I tried 100 fan and slowing down excessively.

20. KTMDirtFace

Strange I don't know I have not seen that problem at all. my batman picture a few posts up I just ran slower and had the PLA fan on. Usually I dont even use the pla fan.