1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Normal? Rough corners on many layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by P-Tang, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P-Tang

P-Tang New Member

Hello all! I'm excited that my printer is getting dialed in. I'm having some issues with print quality and was wondering if this is normal for the Robo 3d. I've searched the forums and can't find anything and not sure what this issue is called (or if it's just the norm for these printers.) Here's some pics of calibration cubes under different temps and a card holder printed at 200. Anyone have this issue before?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That starting filament isn't from their same supplier and is trickier to print with. Try like 210 maybe

3. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Check your hobbed bolt for any shavings looks like filemant is slipping. If there are shavings in there clean the hobbed bolt, use a wire brush and compressed air to clean all the grooves on the hobbed bolt.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have run through a lot of that starter filament and I have been running at 190 almost everytime and have had good luck with it. What software are you using MC, repetier, Cura. The edging issue could also be a retraction settings. probably need more details to get things figured out

5. P-Tang

P-Tang New Member

Thanks for the quick responses and good eye on the starter filament! I am using Matter Control with default settings other than trying different temps. I'm not sure about retraction settings, but it sounds promising because there is a little bit of extra plastic when the print head lifts, which usually on the corners.

I cleaned the hobbed bolt and tried a couple of prints at 210. Here's one of the cubes:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help!!

6. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Try using the cura engine in matter control it seems to work better than slicer engine. I also have seen better results on my prints if you set the z lift to .1 insteed of 1, also trying differnt retraction speeds. Also try different temps to see what temp is best for you filament especially eith the blue robo test gilament I had alot of issues with it.

7. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Also a good way to test temps for the filament is to raise the z axis and extrude some filament if it really curls up the temp is not hot enough, you want it to some what get it to not curl. If it ozzes out the temp is to high. Raise the temp in increments of 5. For pla bed temp with the blue pla stuff i ussually keep it at 40, sometime i wont have it on at all. But i have gotten better results at 40 on the hot bed for pla

8. P-Tang

P-Tang New Member

Sweet. Thanks Savior. I'll play around with these settings over the next couple of days.

9. TStone

TStone New Member

Hello. I also have this problem.
    I've tried to print this little thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:190118
    But it gets messed up, especially the corners, and the hinge is permanently bonded and can't be closed.
    I've tried to print it a couple of times at different temperatures (190°, 195°, 200°) with no noticeable difference.
    The bed is at 70°, and the hairspray does a great work of holding everything still. Still... I'm not sure what to try next.
    Here's some pictures of it. The filament is the blue stuff that came with the printer.
    ts1.JPG ts2.JPG ts3.JPG

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

>The filament is the blue stuff that came with the printer.<
    First problem--replace it. That stuff is junk (there is no nice way to frame that).

Secondly, check/tighten the belts.
    There is some (either X, Y or both) slop in there that is making the edges overrun.

I printed this :

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:200526

and it just popped off the bed and spun...

11. TStone

TStone New Member

Thanks. Odd that they give you bad material to print with...

Tightening the Y-axis belt seemed simple, just give the screws below the bed a little turn. I've done that.
    But I'm lost when it comes to doing the same with the X-axis belt. There seems to be no similar screw for that axis, and the belt itself is fastened with zip locks, and those are not adjustable. Advise?

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I added my own zipties and tightened it up.
    So I basically cut their ziptie, added a new one and use that now to adjust it as needed.

13. P-Tang

P-Tang New Member

Thought I would update you all on my progress. I switched over to Cura Engine, the print time seems to increase, but the results are much better! I got some new filament and found some happy temperature settings.

The corners are still somewhat skewed and I'm getting lots of charred/black in my prints with white filament. I would like to try some different retraction settings, but I'm not sure where/how. I see "Minimum Travel Requiring Retraction"...is this what I change?

Thanks all for your help! I'm really excited about the progress so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.