1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Not enough content on Youtube

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Peter Krska, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Just wondering why is there so little content regarding the Robo 3D printer on youtube?

Sure there are some videos. Mostly of fast time laps videos of the printing.

Unfortunately you don't learn anything from those types of videos since you can't make out any details and they end so abruptly, as if the final product didn't matter.

As a community, I was hoping for more videos showing how to vids as well as updates and upgrades. Troubleshooting would be the ideal vids. It will make us a stronger community.

For those that did post improvements and updates, thanks.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Imaging what 30 pics per second with dialog called video is worth.

Just saying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Part of the problem, I think, is that producing high quality videos is time consuming whereas many of us just want to print. ;)

2 people like this.
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Exactly what melody said. I could make a video of me modding my printer but that is quite time consuming and I'm just trying to get things done as quick as possible and get the printer running :)

4. Peter Krska

Considering that you are providing people with a lot of info on the printer, flipping a video cam on and talking shop is a lot easier and faster than typing out words in a forum.

I plan on posting my thoughts and experiences on youtube once I get my printer.

I see it not only as a valuable tool for others to get up to speed but also as a comparison to other 3D printers out there.

5. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Yes and No. The reason I say that is that yes, turning on a video camera on and talking is easier and faster than most than typing out words, but doing it _well_ is no very easy.

Especially if you want to cut out any mistakes that are made. Editing takes a ton of time and effort. And there is a reason to edit. Remove mistakes, taking out dead air time, speeding up sections that are easy to show but are time consuming, etc. I know, at least for me, if a video takes too long where I'm watching someone just screw in a bolt, I'm more likely to skip the video or fast forward through it, which increases the chances of missing something important.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah exactly what melody described. Sure I could setup a camera over my shoulder while I do things but it would be a lot of me rambling non-sense and a little bit of information. I'd have to edit it down and remove the fat, which is time consuming.

Also for me I do a lot of replying when I'm looking for something to do. It's easy to answer people's questions by typing. While it might take longer to do it this way, the use of time makes more sense.

7. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I thought about this, I think I have some video from me installing me E3D but like they said it's a lot of work, and when you are doing something for the first time it doesn't really make for the best video.

8. Peter Krska

Well I really appreciate all your contributions on this forum. Everyone of you. It's so valuable.

Just thought I'd give the idea of also posting videos since I'm more of a visual learner.

Thanks again.

9. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

The problem with doing things via video is seen clearly when you watch any Let's Play video. Unless you have things scripted and ready to go ahead of time. The video is very much a fumbling, confused mass that may cause more confusion.

Where when you are posting to a forum you can easily take your time in composing images and content.

Personally for mods, I'd rather see people put more time into "Maker" style articles instead of randomly showing parts and assume the audience is smart enough to understand how they fit together. =)