1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Novice Printer... It's all going downhill, please help:[

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Flores, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Daniel Flores

Daniel Flores New Member

Thanks everyone who helped me way back when. I needed a break from it (very frustrating) but I was able to methodically work through and repair the printer. I wanted to detail what had happened in case anyone else new to 3d Printing comes across this forum in the future...
    Basically I had failures everywhere. The Y axis clip broke, the x axis was making awful noises and jerking movements, the z axis wouldn't go up sometimes, the z and x axis clips disconnected themselves, and somehow the ramps fan came loose.

The broken y axis clips gave me prints that were horribly shifted and slanted. This was fixed by verrrrry slowly printing out a replacement clip while the broken clip was glued and tied together. Also note, that when putting the belt in the clip- tension matters! too loose and it doesn't move like it should, too tight and it can jiggle itself around. I tightened mine so that there are two notches outside of the clip.

The x axis would have some issues sometimes during auto level where it would shake and make a horrible sound. This I found was caused by the black tubing getting caught between them.

During the second print the cables on the left hand side of the printer disconnected themselves as the z axis moved up. all I can suggest is looking at pictures to see where they are supposed to go. The black one is always on the right and the red is on the left. the longer cables go onto the top switch. Also, the middle nub doesn't have anything attached to it.

The Z axis also would not always rise and result in prints that were killed by the nozzle because it wouldn't raise. This was very frustrating and it was fixed by realizing that the bottom fan (attached to the bottom panel) was not working. I guess the gentleman I got the printer from didn't realize it was unplugged. But make sure it goes into the spot. I believe it was near the 12 v and the black wire goes on top. That fan makes sure all of the stepper motors don't overheat. The Z one was overheating thus causing the issue of not raising sometimes.

All of these headaches combined to give me pretty decent prints. I've had some issues with the Z carriage coming loose one one side but a zip tie fixed that right up. I have a new issue where the 25 mm hot end fan overheats sometimes and shuts down during a print. This is being mitigated with an adapter to a 40mm fan that I hope will cut down on the noise as well once I can figure out the wiring situation.

Thanks again to those who helped me,
    D