1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Nozzle Replacement

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Allelujah, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Hello everyone, I am back yet again with another few questions. So my new nozzles came in the mail today and I am eagerly waiting to install one of them on my Robo R1+.

First questions are, how exactly do i install new nozzles. I remember vaguely that I need to heat up the hotend, but to what temperature? Will post more questions as i get near to them.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I usually got for 250 or so, but anything at or above 200 probably works.

I figured NoviceExpert would have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBGNc_mOP_amZNrNj6lAwHg

But I did not see one that was obvious so I found a video if you prefer -- not an expert job since he uses awkward tools, but you get the idea:

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All you want to do is heat the nozzle and block up so that they are not cold-torqued in place.
    Dissimilar metals (brass/steel) heat and cool and different rates so tight torque cold does not equal tight torque hot (they may well be loose) so tighten them together hot.

I forgot that step on my delta E3D upgrade and later had quite the mess to clean up when it started leaking filament from the heat break :)

4. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty I will try and watch the vid. I am mostly deaf so hearing what the person says will be an issue if he says something important. I will just go off what he does and hope i get the best results :D

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not rocket science :)
    Just heat it up, use two wrenches to loosen it (so that you can turn the nozzle AND hold the heater block in place).

6. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty lol I have a pliers and a wrench would that work? Dont have 2 wrenches unfortunately

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are careful sure.
    You can use the pliers on the nozzle.

8. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Does the shaft part of the nozzle need to be fully in the block part of the hot end? Beacause I do not have the hex part of the Nozzle touching the block of the hotend. It was getting to be real hard to tighten it so I dont know if I tightened it too much or too little. I would post a pic right now but my Vita died and is charging right now.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. Inside the heater block the end of the heat break and the end if the nozzle need to mate together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

10. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty. Also I know there is someone on the forums that uses Matter Control as well but his name escapes me, I hope he looks at this thread because now my next question is, Do I need to change any setting in Matter Control to let it know I have a new nozzle?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Only if you changed the size (say from 0.4 to something else). If so then yes... absolutely.

12. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Yeah I went from the normal default nozzle size to a 0.15 And I think I found where i need to make changes but not sure if there is anywhere else I need to make changes.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are going to need to change a lot if you from 0.4 to 0.15 :) print speed and layer heights to name just a couple

14. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

OK so thats 2 things i should change, what should I change them to? Or is that something i need to ask somewhere else? I assume there is a long list of things that need to be changed XD

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Layer height should be roughly 50% of nozzle size. The actual rule of thumb is 30% to 70% of the nozzle size. Other things factor as well but that is a start. Speed needs to be reduced in proportion to layer height. I generally use a linear proportion so reducing the layer height by 50% means I would drop the speed in half.

There are a lot of related settings to dial in when you start printing so testing is the best option

#15 mark tomlinson, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Allelujah likes this.
  16. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty. That sounds like a problem for future self to deal with tomorrow. Thanks for the help and advice Mark.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. test away. That is a highly detail capable nozzle, you will just be printing slower.

18. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Thanks XD I plan on printting some very small details for my Gunpla Swords So i hope it does just that :D. Also bought a .25 and a .8 nozzle. The .8 is for when I print Large prints like full scale swords. Didnt know which I would need more, the .25 or the .15 so i got both to try out.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. Slow should work

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The .15 can be very problematic my friend. I've been running it on my robo since the nozzle came out, be sure to go slow...not that slow...even slower lol. Make sure to use an oiler.