1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Nozzle size and extruded filament size

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jeff Hamilton, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

I have an E3D V6 head with a .40 nozzle. We I do a test to see what size the filament is after extrusion I am coming up with appox. .70 , is this correct? The nozzle is not that old at all.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is hard to measure the extruded filament because all filament will generally swell (some will shrink) after extrusion. So even just extruding some into the air and then measuring it (because you can't measure it after it is pressed down) would not be very accurate.

However, that seems a bit far off.

You would need a pin gauge to exactly measure the nozzle diameter, but you could get another close guess with a micrometer.

Ultimately, nozzles are cheap and you might want to swap to a replacement (I keep a bag handy).

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and you could just have a bad nozzle. E3D has codes stamped on theirs (see the link for "ID Dots") so if it is their nozzle, check the code and see what size it is supposed to be (in case they sent you the wrong size)

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Extra-Nozzles

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The filament will expand and also since you are squishing the layers together it will be wider than the actual orifice. I believe the default auto-width for more slicers using a .4 nozzle is between .48 and .56 so your .7 tells me that either you are over-extruding or flattening too much or your .4 nozzle is no longer .4. Nozzles are cheap especially from places like Amazon in the US (example) and Banggood in China (example). Please note that most of the stuff Amazon sells comes from the same Chinese factories.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.