1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Old meets new - tinker toy filament guide with oiler from potty float

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lynne, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Lynne

Lynne New Member

As the filament roll got smaller we had trouble with kinks in line... key to the thing is a fishing hook swivel at the top so the whole thing can wing around to auto de-kink as necessary. Cooking oil has helped our feed so we cut a potty float in half, drilled it and use oily paper towel that the filament passes through. So far it is working great and solved our issues. ;) 100_1090.JPG 100_1089.JPG

2. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

my neck hurts watching this :(

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Lmao! that's the most elaborate spool holder I've ever seen. Seems like some Rue Goldberg would come up with.

Glad I looked at this on my laptop so I could rotate it and get a good laugh. Love the tinker toys

2 people like this.
  4. Lynne

Lynne New Member

Apologies for the rotated pictures... didn't really notice until already posted. But the thing does work! :)

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Attached find a simpler oiler with both a top and bottom guide so it just slides along the filament as you print. It can't tilt, bend fold or mutilate but it may need a 2mm drilling if your printer doesn't do a super fine job with the filament holes. Just print, drill, add a small piece of cotton, oil and its ready to go.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  6. scotta

scotta Active Member

I went super simple and low tech - Old lotion tube, cut in half, bit of old sponge. Works a treat.
    -1.jpg

3 people like this.