1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

OLD ROBO filament NEW R2

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by aaronwstone, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry that our spools don't fit on the back of the R2. Our filament is really good stuff and it is spooled on what use to be the industry standard size. However, the industry changed spool sizes awhile ago and we are only now in the process of transitioning to the new standard. Many of our filaments and eventually all of our filaments will have the new spool size, but, as you all well know, we are in a transitional period.

We've designed a printable spool holder to help anyone with the R2 that has the former standard spool size. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2375835

I wish you all pleasant and enjoyable printing. Feel free to verbally lash me for having to experience this awkward spool transition period.

Geof, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

I needed a solution to the same problem trying to use the spools of ABS i have brought. Made this....then find it cant print ABS anyway...for the moment at least till the bed issue gets fixed.

Attached Files:

3. jonebersole

jonebersole Member

I made my own. Feel free to use it if you wish. I created an end that i could use with a piece of 3/4" Outer Diameter /1/2" Inner Diameter galvanized pipe that you get in the electrical Isle at Home Depot. I had it lying around, so that is what i used and designed it for. I cut the pipe 9" long so i could get two spools on it at the same time. This also allows me to easily move them around on the desk and line them up, etc. I've attached a pic of me using it with my new R2.
    The part that you print has tapered ends so you can get it on/off easily. It works well for me, and it is a cheap solution. I hope someone else can utilize it as well. The STL file is attached.
    IMG_0659.JPG

Attached Files: