1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Older Robo, updates and upgrades?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dbvanhorn, Mar 17, 2017.

1. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I came across an older robo a couple weeks ago on a deal I couldn't refuse.
    I'm not sure of the vintage, but it has no Z switches, a glass bed with holes in it and drawer slides.

I'm in the process of firing it up for the first time.

Is there a kit of parts I can get to bring it up to current or close?
    What version of firmware would be appropriate?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

#2 mark tomlinson, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Lot of other upgrade bits on thingiverse. Getting rid of the slide rails and the j-head and adding autoleveling are the big ones

If you do the Y axis, replace the j-head and autoleveling upgrades you have an R1+

#3 mark tomlinson, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Well, this is one that I can have down while upgrading, then I can take my original machine down for a thorough clean and rebuild.

My original machine has the Hexagon, what's a good hotend these days? How much is involved in changing from the J head?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just swapping it out will work. You can use a hex or an E3D.
    The Robo uses two M3 (?I think) long screws from the side to hold the extruder in place.
    Remove those and then you can drop it out and swap in a new one. Wire the heater core up to the wires powering the J-Head heater and you are good.

6. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I just bought a used beta unit this week. I didn't know what a beta unit was until after I did a little more research, guess I should have done that first.

I almost completed my first print but Windows decided that since the screen saver was on, it must be a good time to install updates and reboot about two thirds into the print.

I'm having a heck of a time getting the first layer down but I just found the Z height video instructions for the beta last night. After watching it and the R1 video, I'd really like to upgrade to the newer 'leveling' system!

I found the hardware upgrade info posted by Mike Kelly using couplers, switches and printed Z stop brackets but I'm not sure what firmware to install afterwards. I still have the 'drawer slides' and non metal J-head.

Will adding the leveling hardware allow the use of R1 firmware, or do I have to change the hotend first as well?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are fine with using it after you have done the autoleveling conversion. There is nothing hotend specific that has changed.
    You will probably want to convert to an all-metal hotend (rather than the J-Head that the beta came with) at some point, but you do not have to do that immediately. Max temp on the J-Head is 235c if memory serves so stay below that.

8. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Aw
    Awesome, thanks!

The deal included a 3DV6 but it appears to be missing a few bits as it's not a full kit. Still researching what I need to complete it.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well the good thing about e3d is that you CAN buy individual bits. The hexagon and the original jhead were all or nothing

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And if you need help with the E3D post pictures of what you have. We can help sort any missing bits.

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

11. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Somewhat related: With the Hexagon hot ends I have replaced, I got a fancy complicated aluminum plate.
    No instructions as to what it's for, so they are sitting in my RoboParts bin. What's the plate for?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

without a picture it would be a total guess. Maybe the quick release plate on the R1+?