1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Optimal Heat Break Length

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Lance Weston, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

In the past I have had some brands of plastic that always seem to clog the print head at some point during the print. I have avoided those and have not had problems until recently. I use the E3D J6 short wade printheads. These are all dirt cheap and come from China, but the quality control of all the parts ( throats, heatsink and nozzle) are terrible. I got the same failure to complete with clog on a brand of filament I use a lot of. I replaced the print head and the problem was gone, so I decided to examine both printheads. What I found was the bad printhead had a too long throat and the Heat break was at least 50% longer than normal. The working printhead had a Heat Break that was about half as long.

I am now in the process of making print heads with very short Heat Breaks to see if there is a minimum/optimal length. Wish I had saved the troublesome rolls.

Does anyone already know the answer?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It depends on the design ad is (oddly enough) one of the most critical parts of the hotend to get correct.
    Even more so if the hotend is a smaller, all-metal unit. You can buy the official heat break for the E3D from either E3D or a vender like @PrintedSolid, that may sort it for you.

3. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I can set the heat break to whatever I like. It does not follow that the heat break from E3D is the optimal for all filaments. The heat break was working fine for PETG but going to PLA+ required a shorter heat break.

That being said, I have fooled myself so many times with assumptions that the change I observed is the change that mattered.

I fooled myself. After changing the heat gap in stages from large to small I had no improvement. I then went to no cooling and not retraction and still would not complete. I then realized that I had forgotten to put an oiler on the filament. In my case a piece of gun cleaning linen dampened with canola oil, wrapped around the filament and held in place with a folder clip.

I removed the print arm and put a 1.8mm rod down the hole and found it did insert as smoothly as I would like. I coated the rod with canola oil and rand it up and down the hole until it moved smoothly.

Problem solved and printing nicely.

#3 Lance Weston, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022