1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Pause a print for the night and restart it the day after.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by janot928, Oct 15, 2015.

1. janot928

janot928 Active Member

I wonder if it yould be possible to :
    -start a print
    -pause it
    -set the temps to the ambiant temps
    -turn off the printer (but keep the arduino on)
    -turn back on the morning and preheat
    -resume the print

because my future room is gona be ....really small and the printer is still too loud for me

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

No. The moment you issue any kind of power off command or turn off the main power switch it interrupts the program, even if the arduino is connected to a powered PC via USB cable.

Also the slightest power fluctuation will wreck a print so all of this is moot unless you are running the printer off of a battery backup system.

3. janot928

janot928 Active Member

I know that the first 3d printer i tried to buy (EZ3D phoenix 3d printer) had a software feature allowing to restart prints after a faillure.

Is there a way to deactivate this security ?

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Not one 3d printer at the hobby level (where the Robo is) has the ability to resume from a failure like that due to how the hardware reads the programs. It cannot hold the entire program in memory at once, so it streams it like a youtube video (more like how Youtube was four years or so ago really).

If that stream is interrupted or paused for too long, its like some mobile apps that have to start over rather than letting you pick up where you left off.

Hell, the $350k cnc router we have at work can't resume an interrupted program that was due to a power down/interrupt scenario, so a hobby level 3d printer that would be able to do it would be impressive indeed.

5. janot928

janot928 Active Member

well i'll make some try's and i'll keep you guys in touch

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Here is one issue, even if your experiment is semi successful, If you power off a stepper that is being held at a microstep. when power is restored it will be at the next full step. Current holds the microstep in place, as soon as that current is removed there is nothing to hold the stepper in position.

Second issue. Marlin will likely shut down the print with a temperature warning.

7. janot928

janot928 Active Member

first by default the Z axis is off when not mooving. since i almost never use the autobed leveling it´s not a problem.

for the x and Y axis it is possible to run a G28 to home them and by doing that recalibrate both axis. it might also be possible for the Z axis if i spare a bit of place at the back of the printer (or front)

And for the second issue: do you know how i can dissable this security in the firmware ?

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You still have the first issue, just because you are not using auto-tramming does not mean you are not using microsteps.

Second, as far as I know there is no way to solve the second without rewriting a lot of the Marlin code. It would then be very specific to your setup and likely not something the developers are interested in.

9. janot928

janot928 Active Member

ok.. i ll try who knows, it might work