1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PEI print bed upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Domenic, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Domenic

Domenic Member

So I have been doing a little reasearch on pei and for the most part it sounds like a cool upgrade. Right now I am using glue sticks. Painters tape I had to replace after every print. Never really tryed hairspray but I don't want to risk damaging any parts. But I heard about pei and it seems like a good upgrade especially when I am trying to do some wirless printing. I was just wondering of people's general thoughts on it. There are three packages on amazon one 8x8, 10x10, and 12x12 pei sheets which one should I get so that if fits my print bed?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Don't know what you are worried about damaging with hairspray, but good luck with the PEI :)
    It is highly spoken of by some.

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Hairspray has been working well for me from day 1.
    Cheap to try.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Domenic

Domenic Member

Question am I supposed to use glue stick at a very low bed temp or normal because everytime i put it on it is no longer sticky by time print starts

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Glue stick as well as hairspray stops feeling tacky once it has flashed over. But the effects of better adhesion still remain. Personally I find glue sticks too inconsistent in application thickness and too messy to clean up, which is why I prefer hairspray. Not the environmentally safe kind, the stuff used in the 60's that would hold up a building if it needed too.

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  7. Mike Poling

Mike Poling New Member

I did a sheet of 2 mm PEI onto my heated bed and fixed it to the bed with 3M thermostable double sided adhesive tape. IT IS AWESOME!!! No glue, nothing. just turn it on, heat and print. It also comes off without any issue at all. Dream come true.

Get the 12 x 12 and cut it to fit.

mark tomlinson likes this.