1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PETG - Adhesion

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Stephen Capistron, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

I have been trying to print something out of PETG that is about 50mm wide and 100mm long with a fairly high infill (25%). The way the parts are designed I intended on taking advantage of the smooth glass surface such that I would have a perfectly flat side on the part. At least as perfectly flat as plastic can get.

I had done 80C with hairspray and the part cooling fan on and got a little bit of lift up at the edges. Changed the design a bit so there was some stress relief in the part to allow for a little more shrinkage and this improved things, but still a little lifting.

So I turned things up to 11. 90C bed, painter's tape cleaned with acetone, with a dose of hairspray. I spent a few minutes trying to get the thing off this morning with no luck. Going to 11 may have not been a good idea, but I really have not spent that much effort trying to get it off. I will flood the bed with water to break down the tape and hairspray. Possibly add a little heat too.

Next time maybe I'll skip the painter's tape.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That's 9, maybe 10. 11 would be 110C bed. :)
    Unlike ABS (so far, in my cases, YMMV, etc.) PET responds to the heated bed in a non-linear fashion.
    Above a certain point it gets worse IMHO.

3. Stephen Capistron

I could see going too far past the Tg being a bad thing now that I think about it a bit more.

4. Stephen Capistron

A little water and heating it back up to 80-85C did the trick.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I'm pretty sure the surface of the robo is actually way lower than what the thermistor indicates. Go hotter if needed.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

7. Wikid

Wikid Member

I print the eSun PETG at 80c on the bed with hairspray and holds fine for me. I also run the hotend at 245 for the first layer then drop to 240. I have printed some fairly skinny parts they held without issue. I tried to print with the bed at 70c some parts did ok but going lower it would just pop off part way though the print.

Wikid