1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PETG for Robo R1+

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Eric Viglotti, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Hello,

Have an R1+ and I have only used PLA, but I need to start using PETG. Anyone know:

1. How I create a command in the little LCD screen (in the attached) to "preheat PETG" like we have "preheat PLA" and "preheat ABS" I have on there?

2. For Cura, do I need to do something in my Gcode to stipulate the higher temperature?

This is all because I believe the PETG temperature is about 260 degrees instead of 210 we see in PLA?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Requires editing the Marlin firmware. Specifically you will find "preheat" in the following files:

Configuration.h
    ConfigurationStore.cpp
    language.h
    ultralcd.cpp

I know for certain that the last file has references to the settings you would need to customize, have not looked at the others yet.

Geof likes this.
  3. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Thanks much. Since I'm a bit of a rookie for this type of customization, how do I edit the Marlin firmware? And how about the print itself coming out of Cura, what do I do there to ensure that prints at the higher temperature?

Thanks!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Editing the Marlin firmware requires you be familiar with Arduino programming (at least for what you want to do -- changing settings in CONFIGURATION.H is one thing, adding this is a bit more involved). Interesting idea though, if I get time I may look into this at some point. I have that LCD on two printers (one is even an R1+) but I never use the preheat options. When we added the Pi/OctoPrint and an LCD touchscreen on all of the printers I pretty much stopped using the other LCD screens for control at all (even though they are still attached).

As for Cura ... sorry, not clue. There should be a way to edit the profile for whatever filament you use, but I have no recent experience with Cura.

Sorry, I really can't be of much help here :) I did want to point out what all was involved at least with the LCD modifications.

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We do have some Cura users on here, including recent versions (of Cura) so someone should be able to chime in on that part.

Geof likes this.