1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PET PETG parameters - top solid infill/bridging problem

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Jes, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Jes

Jes New Member

Hi,

I have been trying various filaments for a project to print molds for ceramics. I am currently experimenting with eSUN PETG and I am really pleased with how it bonds together and the overall print quality.

I started building a profile in MatterControl based on the parameters from eSUN's website, but one problem I cannot seem to solve is getting a nice top surface on a solid object. Everything I do results in small holes in the surface.

I have tried changing the bridge speed, set the fan speed to 100%, and also reduced the 'Top Solid Infill' parameter.

So far nothing seems to do the trick - anyone have experience with this? I never had this problem with PLA/ABS/ABS+

I am attaching an image of the calibration test box from the Robo library.

Thanks,
    Jes

Attached Files:

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Try printing more top layers. I do 3-4 top layers.

Although it looks like your having extrusion problems with it anyway based on the raft under it. ( It looks like its underextruding )

What temperature are you using? I use about 240 for ESUN Petg.

#2 KTMDirtFace, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  3. Jes

Jes New Member

I cranked up the top layers to 6 and it got better, will try to add another layer tonight and see if it works better. I think the profile is set to have a layer thickness of 0.2, but I am not 100% sure of that as I am at work right now.

If it was underextruding, wouldn't the object itself have issues? The rafts I get are pretty consistent fwiw.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So 6 x 0.2 = 1.2 mm

Not a huge amount for the outer shell really. I like to always have at least 1mm (normally 1.5) on outer shell of the model. 1mm is not very big :)
    The infill on the inside is only important if I want to make it a lot stronger (structurally) or have more weight.

5. Jes

Jes New Member

I had to take it beyond that to 2mm (10 layers) before it started turning out nice. Was a lot more than I needed for ABS+ but looks like we're there.

Still trying to figure out how to get it to print PETG without a raft, gluestick is not enough, and how to get the printed object off the raft without cutting my hand off in the process - currently have the raft to object distance set to .7mm.

Thanks again though, I think this did it!