1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Phenom3030's R1 adventure

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Phenom3030, Apr 6, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Get the metal stud thermistor for one thing. Then breaking it takes actual effort.
    If I were replacing the hotend I would upgrade. Your call. Do both at the same time.

2. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

Ah, I believe Robo3D is sending me a stock thermistor.
    Mark would you recommend cleaning up the hex and giving it another go or just going ahead and installing the v6?
    I haven't done this before but my initial thought is I have to remove the hex completely to clean it well and if i take it out, I'm already part way to just installing the v6?

I'm sure there's more to it than that. Looking over the sticky for v6 upgrade and one snag I foresee is that I don't have a new fan shroud printed out for the v6...

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are correct. You are well over half-way at that point. I would suggest the upgrade (and you can get the metal stud thermistor from @Printed Solid as well as the E3D upgrade if you are in the US). But it is your call, you can just (carefully) replace the stock thermistor and either clean and re-mount the Hexagon or replace it.

Phenom3030 likes this.
  4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I wouldn't sweat the parts cooling fan shroud. You can print one fine without it. I print PLA on my replicator without a cooling fan all the time, it just can't handle some fine features as well.

KTMDirtFace and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

Thank you for that reassurance! So I think I'm going to go ahead and get the v6 installed then print a fan shroud as a first print. :)

Printed Solid likes this.
  6. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

Haven't updated in awhile. I installed the v6 and enjoyed the better prints with it. Decided to do the volcano upgrade as well. It hasn't been as smooth a sailing though. Still trying to get it dialed in. The following pictures were prior to a fan shroud. Both ABS filament.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

ABS is all about heat management.

Keep experimenting and you will find the secret sauce that works for you.

8. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

The experimenting continues... @dbefore posted in the other thread that he gets better prints with ABS with the fan on. I think I get similar results.
    Here's where I'm at with tuning my volcano upgrade. I think it's getting better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

And here are a few more prints with a different brand of ABS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone recommend any ways to improve my printing? All were printed with MatterControl. Hoping to get Simplify3d soon!

#29 Phenom3030, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That alone will be a big help. It is a better slicer.

11. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Hope Simplify 3D works well.

How fast are you printing?

I printed the left one with the same settings as you.

E3D V6 0.8mm Nozzle
    0.4mm layer height
    220C/60C
    50mm/s
    show and tell.JPG

12. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

@Marquis Johnson, here's my bulbasaur prints. Have any advice on improving my prints? I think I'm having z band issues? I have some things I printed to help with it but it seems like my prints could still be better.

.8mm nozzle/.4mm layer height:
    [​IMG]

.8mm/.1mm layer height:
    [​IMG]

and z band fixes?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Are those threaded rod guides available on thingiverse? If so, can you please share the link?

14. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

If you only use a .8 nozzle you can use the normal v6. No need for the volcano unless you go larger than .8

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, opinions vary :)

The volcano has a larger melt zone and can print at much higher speeds. If you do push the Volcano then you start to sacrifice some fine detail, but in a larger print this is almost always moot.

I do agree that if all you are after is the bigger nozzle (fatter layer width) then probably no need to move to the volcano. Going to a much larger nozzles (like, say, 1.2mm) also increases the amount of filament you can throw down and those absolutely need the volcano (unless you were to slow down). Just don't confuse people into thinking that is the only difference. I use the Volcano at 0.8 (most of the time) and it really kicks for printing at high speeds.

16. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Well you need the volcano for anything larger than .8. Once you start pushing lots of filament you will likely need to upgrade extruders as well. Gregs is great at moderate and some high speeds with decent amount of filament being pushed through. Once you start to go to 1mm and 1.2 nozzles and are printing fast, gregs wade has trouble keeping up. I was just saying if all he was using was a .8 nozzle then he really doesn't "need" the volcano.

17. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It seems to be fine at the max speed you can push the Robo to at least in my tests up to 1.2mm nozzles. I can't say if all printers would work there :) Certainly it is something to consider.