1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved PLA delamination/layers not binding(infill and bottom layers)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Electonic, May 17, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Any of them look like your current issue?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The edges look like Z banding. Is that what you are concerned with?

3. Electonic

Electonic Member

The third one under extrusion looks like my problem. Upon further inspection of my print, the layers that mess up don't always make it to the outer shell. I'll post pics in a bit of my print that I just did as well as the infill of one, and I will print another one except with infill overlap at a higher %.

Thanks,
    Eric

4. Electonic

Electonic Member

I'm concerned with whatever the sides have happening to them...Is it Z banding?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The ribbing certainly is.
    That is discussed in depth here in a few threads.
    The only real solution for it is the leadscrew upgrade.
    I have one printer with that upgrade and another not. The banding on the 'not' one is not hideous so I am leaving it.
    Some have it quite bad.

6. Electonic

Electonic Member

Yeah, I had Z ribbing when I had the printer working a little better, but basically, I just got my original problem again. I'm going to try speeding it way up. Like 70-80, maybe more, and see if that helps like last time.
    Thanks,
    Eric

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I'm following what's happening now. The infill still has me confused. If your doing minimum 1 mm top bottom and shell and 15% at least overlap I'd think you'd be good. The banding is something I'm not familiar with being an r1+ user but it does look just awful.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you end up doing the leadscrew upgrade? I just re read the whole thread to catch back up lol. I couldn't recall everything lol.

9. Electonic

Electonic Member

I have not done the upgrade. I have thought about it, but I wanted to get this problem fixed first. If it is the problem, then I'll think about getting it. I don't know, $100 just for somethings that should be working anyway? My printer was a special refurbished R1(for First Tech Challenge teams), and I was under the impression that it came with the lead screw upgrade already in place. Is there any way I can tell if I have it or not?
    anyways... My camera is having problems.(I forgot to charge it) so no pictures just yet.
    Thanks again,
    Eric

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Eric, no problem on the photos.

To know if you have leadscrew said you'll look at your threaded rods. If there is a coupler (at the bottom of the threaded rod) that attaches them to the motor you do not have the leadscrew. If there are no couplers it will be a threaded shaft that runs all the way into the motor(into the case)

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Electonic likes this.
  12. Electonic

Electonic Member

And I quote,
    Plug & Print
    Assembled and Calibrated ROBO R1 3D printer includes all new linear motion and lead screws for better quality, performance, and consistency. Also includes a better filament feeding system for ease of use. Additional components for leveling, guidance, and performance of the R1 Refurbished Printer make it the best option for desktop 3D Printing today. You will love it.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is interesting. I was not aware of any r1 models coming out with integrated lead screws. That is the major difference between the r1 and r1+

14. Electonic

Electonic Member

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe you are correct and have a refurbished r1. It gets very confusing with the models and differences. But what your saying and the photos does lead me to believe your having banding defects and a lead screwup grade would at least take care of that portion of your print quality.

@mark tomlinson would know better As he has r1 (and done the leadscrew upgrade to one of them)

As far as I'm aware no r1 model comes with the upgrade in place from the factory only the r1+

mark tomlinson and Electonic like this.
  16. Electonic

Electonic Member

Im in EST, so I'll post pics tomorrow.
    Thanks for all your input.
    Eric

Geof likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If they are advertising them as 'R1' I'd suspect no leadscrew upgrade since as @Geof mentions with the leadscrew it is functionally an 'R1+' They might as well advertise it that way.

Geof likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm reading through that link you posted and I'm seeing the confusion. It looks like the R1 and R1+ descriptions are the same or very close to it. The R1 does not have the integrated lead screws that did away with the z banding. The R1+ does have the integrated leadscrews. The solution is to buy the integrated lead screws or do that alternative to lead screws post link I gave you. I dont know of any other solutions :-(

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are no complete solutions.
    If you search for Z banding threads there are a number of them and a few with suggestions to mitigate it, but the only complete solution is the switch to leadscrews.

20. Electonic

Electonic Member

Ok, so I printed this spool holder. I believe I'm having another heating/cooling problem.

I noticed the part that holds the spool itself at the top right of the picture printed nicer than the rest of the model. This print had no cooling fan, so when it was printing the nicer looking part it printed slower.
    I'm going to try to print something else in case this is a model error.
    Also, my internet gets slow at the end of the month until it starts again on the 5th. So I'll have to give a link for the picture.
    Thanks,
    Eric

http://s33.postimg.org/frlyjf4vj/IMG_6696_1.jpg