1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved PLA delamination/layers not binding(infill and bottom layers)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Electonic, May 17, 2016.

1. Electonic

Electonic Member

Nevermind about the GCode, I found some online.
    I'm not (at this moment) going to get the leadscrews. I may in the future, but at this point, I'm content with a working printer. I consider myself techy/capable to install the new steppers and stuff(after all, my first printer was a Oneup kit that I built), But at this time I am not comfortable to take apart the printer.

On that note, do you have any quick tips to help Z ribbing or should I search around the forum for that?
    Thanks

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't encounter the issue but if I find some helpful links I'll post them here for you. Im glad your up and running again.

As far as cura goes, there are tons of buttons to tweak to get that perfect print quality, if matter control starts acting up again might be worth giving it another go. I used cura for about a month then bough s3d. Very happy with it, but cura is free :)

Electonic likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Electonic

Electonic Member

Ok, so my test cubes print perfect and I mean perfect. However, when I'm printing objects with weird edges, such as this.(see link below)
    The outer shell doesn't stick to the layer beneath it, which makes the infill for that layer weak, leaving the whole model ruined. Models with less weird edges, like a cube, or a phone case, work great.
    Here is a pic.
    http://s33.postimg.org/v6zi29p4f/IMG_6720_1.jpg
    and here is the Thingiverse link http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:608169
    Thanks again,

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that were a first layer I'd blame the Z offset.
    You might be having issues with the Z stepper driver, but I'd expect even less complex models to show that symptom.

This almost has to be a slicer falling down.

Geof likes this.
  7. Electonic

Electonic Member

That is the second layer. The actual filament gets laid down where its supposed to, but it wnds up being too high and it "strings" from point to point instead of sticking to the layer beneath it. Could it be the model has a gap there and thats what makes the problem?

Thanks,

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If the first layer looks good and the 2nd doesn't I'd think either model or slicer. Run the model through netfabb repair and try again

9. Electonic

Electonic Member

Ok. Im not at home right now. Thanks and ill get back to you

Geof likes this.
  10. Electonic

Electonic Member

Ok, I still have the same problem. Looks pretty much the same as the other ones, except I printed it all the way. Its ok after it passes the 2-3mm mark(Z axis). What if my first layer was too low, which it is, and then the second and third layers were too high not allowing it to bond? is that a possibility?

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The first layer does need to be correct. I don't know if that's giving you your issue but it's the best place to start. If the foundation is bad the house is bad :).

Electonic likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The first layer is base for the calculations so it is hard for the first layer to be 'too low'.
    Lets assume the layer is 0.2 and the Z offset is 0.09

The extruder raises 0.29mm (the layer thickness + your z offset) to lay down the first layer.
    Assuming the first layer is correct and looks right, etc. then the second layer will be at 0.49
    (0.29 + the layer thickness).

Every successive layer is then 0.2mm higher.

Geof likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If your stepper is commanded to move 0.2 and does NOT make enough steps to raise the Z by exactly 0.2 -- there is your problem.

This is why stepper drivers failing will shaft you. The printer is commanded for 0.2 and the stepper drops steps and goes somewhat less than 0.2 (or whatever was requested)

EDIT: I have never seen a stepper step too much. Seems like if they fail or loose signal they just drop steps.

#173 mark tomlinson, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That's a very good point. Does it do it at any other points or just the 2nd layer ?

15. Electonic

Electonic Member

Looks to be the second and third layers and sometimes the fourth. Also, wouldn't that affect the other prints as well?

I also had a huge layer shift while printing but I wasn't around to see it. I'm pretty sure the power didn't go out, so what else could it be?

Thanks, Eric

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Layer shift is a belt skip.

Electonic and Geof like this.
  17. Electonic

Electonic Member

I'm printing a phone case right now with .1mm layers instead of .2mm. I had one going and it lifted off the bed so I put a brim on, but before it lifted off the bed it was looking good. I'll post pictures in the morning.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Lifting off of the bed is a thermal management issue for whatever filament type you use.
    Usually too much or too little heat (bed or extruder).

Electonic likes this.
  19. Electonic

Electonic Member

Ok, so with the brim it still lifted off the bed. My bed is set at 55c, and my extruder is at 190c. There was also a slight layer shift at the top of the print. I'm not going to have access to my printer for three-four hours, so I can't try anything right now. When I get back I'll look into the x axis slipping.
    Still printing with .1mm layers, sides look a whole lot better, as well as the bottom.
    Picture below.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Attached Files:

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

is this with PLA