1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA solvent.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jaeson Cardiff, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I use a soldering iron to smooth some PLA prints that had issues. I move the iron over a spot and it smooths it out. You have to be careful to not over melt and clean the tip of the iron regularity to prevent dark soot from rubbing into the print.

I use a 40 watt iron. It's also great for making holes if needed. Like a hot knife through butter.

If you ever print with over hangs and you get a lot of stinging, don't rip those stings off, rather use the soldering iron to reattach the stings onto the print rebuilding the area.

I have also used the soldering iron to glue two pieces together. I heat both sides till they are wet looking, and then stick them together. I then use the iron to fuse the sides together till you can't see the seam.

This is the best method, and it is Rock hard stuck together and will not break at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

3 people like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, you can use a large heatgun as well. Not terrific, but it does work. (thanks for reminding me of that)

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

The heat gun works to heat a large area, however you need to be careful because a higher heat will dissolve or basically eve apostate the filament. If you do use it, make sure you heat it to the 190 degree to and not any higher. And also
    You need another tool such as a spatula that you use to smooth out certain ugly spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada