1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Please help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Natasha, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Natasha

Natasha New Member

The first bottom layer does good and then it all goes crazy and starts leaning off the side toward the x-axis and then the taller it gets it starts going forward on the y-axis but the layers are just all so yucky and stringy. I just got my printer last week and just now trying it out and I have set up the repetier host program like it says and ,I have the Pla only model. Can someone please help me try to figure this out because I'm so confused and don't know how to fix it. The image that I attached is suppose to be the basic cube it says to try to print out first. I will greatly appreciate it if someone can help me. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hi Natasha,
    So the first layers stay stuck to the bed but the subsequent layers start printing in mid air? This would mean that the Robo is printing outside the footprint of the cubes first layers. This is a pretty important question. If this is the case then the belts or stepper motors are skipping.

How tight is the X belt? It should vibrate like a very low frequency guitar string. Do both the X and Y belt have the metal spring tensioners on them? Try using Repetier or Mattercontrol manual controls to move both the X and Y axes while holding on to the carriages with a tiny bit of resistance to the movement. Do the belts slip? Are the motor pulleys slipping are their set screws tight?

I'm sure someone else will also chime in with better ideas than mine.

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Now if the first layer does not stick then all bets are off. If this happens then it might get bumped over by the next layers printing and so on to get this step pattern. Let us know what you think about these questions and I'm sure we can figure out what is happening.
    Steve

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Natasha you definitely have a few issues with the printer. First of all you do have some X axis slipping goin gon based on the images...that is the easy one. Steve was correct about it have a low twang sound if you pluck it like a guitar string you probably get just a thud it should be a very low pitch sound. To make a mod to do q quick fix the allows for further adjustment I remove one end of the belt from the x chassis then loop it back on itself so you make a small loop in the belt then tie wrap it together do it does not move try to get it kind of close to the end of the loop. Then use a second tie wrap to connect it back to the chassis. if you shorten the belt enoughwhen you loop the second tie wrap through the loop in the belt and to the chassis you should have a decent loop with the second tie wrap tighten this second loop will tighten the belt.

The second issue is your initial height or your z height it is too high and your prints WILL most likely fail first layer example-small.jpg
    This is an image of a good first layer you can tell by the skirt which is how you probably should start trying to read it gives alot of information
    Your skirt should be 2 loops and 1 layer high nothing else is really needed.
    Now the first layer is the most important. Well over 90%of the failures new users see is because the inital height is way too high. In this picture the outer most ring is my skirt and it actually looks like a single line but it is actually two lines but they have been flattened enough to make them merge into awhat looks like a single line. This is about as good as it gets.
    When you extrude 1 of 2 things will happen you will either simply allow the extruder to lay the filament down where it has a high likelihood of breaking free of the bed and causing a failure

OR

You can make sure the extruder is close enough to the bed so that the extruder pushes the filament on to the surface of the bed this way it. When you do this there is much more surface contact between the bed and the filament and it will stick a lot better.

You can go too low and make the rest on the bed and then the filament will simply squirt out in little blobs and skip some then another blob you should work to make it look quite flattened but still solid like the picture.

To give you some additional information the single line you see in the pic that is raised is when I manually lifted the x carriage as it was printing to see what would happen and guess what if you saw an entire layer that was made of those line it would look pretty good to a new user but it is way high and would have failed that is the gotcha you simply need to know that your first layer should be flattened. if you look at the pics again you will easily see the first layer line is way too round in fact it looks kind of like the raised line in my pic.

I can help youmore if you still have problems like I have many people here all over the world it is kind of funI usually do it via Skype as we can share photos of the issues and discuss in real time, its alot easier.

So if you want to my Skype info is in my sig just say something about robo so I know you are legitgive me a shout if you need to

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Right, get that first layer a little tighter and fix the belt tension. You may need a little oil on your x-axis rails. Do you hear kind of a grinding noise when the head lifts and starts to move to print the next layer? That would be skipping steps.

However, I actually think your big problem may be in the slicer. It looks like you have it configured to print thicker layers than the machine is capable of printing. What are you using for a layer height?

6. Natasha

Natasha New Member

I checked my x and y axis and the screw was loose on it causing it to slip and it quit moving sideways and forward when printing causing it to get out of line. But still have the issue of the print looking really bad. I have the layer height set as .3 as well as the first layer.

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

what do the prints look like now?

8. Natasha

Natasha New Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    Here is what happened now it seems to just be crumbling up on it and I turned my heat down a lil and it seems to still be doing it.

9. Natasha

Natasha New Member

It acts like during the printing after the first couple of layers that the extruded stops putting out the filament. I know its not stopped up because it comes out when it idle and when I test the filament by twisting to the gear it feeds thru good.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I will send you a zip file that contains 3 gcode files load them and print them out they will override all printer settings you may have entered and it will tell us if it is your printer or if it is your settings.

Do one of the cube files and also take images of teh first layer being printed as well as others during the print.

Attached Files:

11. Natasha

Natasha New Member

okay questions about these files do I just go into repetier and just load g code because that is what I tried to do and my printer wouldn't do anything kept saying echo active extruder 0.

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have dual extruders on my setup but extruder 0 is the same as yours EXT 0 is the first extruder EXT 1 is the second etc.

Others are using them so I am confused.
    Can you upload a screen shot of the log file when you see this and tell me exactly which of the three files it is that does it?

13. Natasha

Natasha New Member

image.jpg
    These r the three files that I downloaded that you attached above. It won't run any of them I load the g code but it repetier won't do anything.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok let me have some one else try them just to make sure it isn't something I did

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I just verified it the same files were just run by someone else and they worked just as expected
    I am not trying to be difficult but can you explain each step in detail you are doing to load the file and before you run anything in repetier tap the gcode button and get a screen shot of the beginning of the file it will be displayed there something weird is going on

16. Natasha

Natasha New Member

Ok, this is what I done, step by step, but it's showing its printing job, but not doing anything....

Attached Files:

17. Natasha

Natasha New Member

Ok, figured out why it wasn't printing... G-code said wait for bed temperature, we'll I'm using the Pla model...I.e. no heat bed... I'll post again when finished printing

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

heha I was just gonna say that I was gonna change the code and actually let me do that cuz that was made for running temp at 220C which is close to the stock limit and it does not need to be that high

Attached Files:

19. Natasha

Natasha New Member

It is printing good now so I know that its my settings that causing all of the problems! Now to just fix my settings like the ones in the file. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2 people like this.
  20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

at least you know your printer works if you get a hold of me on skype we can go through them alot easier