1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Please Send Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrey Wheeless, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Jeffrey Wheeless

The only place that sells the things for a multimeter that have the clips on them is an hour's drive away, so out of spite I've ordered them and a bread board and next dayed them on Amazon and we shall get this done tomorrow. I'm feeling confident. Plus I found a guy that has one of those PSUs so if I'm struggling and I need to go all out chances are ever increasingly in my favor, hopefully.

2. Jeffrey Wheeless

By the way, I don't think I've properly thanked both of you for all the work you've done helping me. You both have really gone above and beyond what I had hoped for and i feel thankful and happy I can be in a community where you two are prominent members.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Always happy to help as are many others on here.
    There is a broad range of users so plenty of stuff to draw on.

I like to say I do stupid crap so you don't have to :)

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im glad to be able to help where i can. How have you gotten along so far

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Jeffrey Wheeless

Well the videos and stuff didn't exactly give you a good showing of what to do when something goes wrong. For whatever reason my digital multimeterdoesnt want to show me the current output of the stuff when placed on the correct things, literally same placement as the people did in the thread and video. My analog one though seems to but I don't have an alligator clip for it, very frustrating and slow work and it's tough to tell if I've broken anything or made something better.

I did get it to 2, what 2 was I'm unsure but it seems within the realm of possibilities. Once it got higher than two it dropped to zero and wouldn't go any higher, so I put it back to 2 on one and am about to do the same in the others but wanted input first.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

2 is a little high, but if it works you can try it.
    The only down-side to having he current too high is that the steppers will run hotter.
    It is a very touchy adjustment...

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Youll knownif you are to.high because the steppers will get HOT

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea they warm up a lot if you go more than 1.5, but if the StepperDriver pot is letting him choose 2 or 0 -- 2 it is :)

Me -- I'd get another stepper driver.

10. Jeffrey Wheeless

See the pain is its so difficult to figure out the decimals for them, I can aim for 1.7 though. Side note some of them didn't show any voltage at all or very very low might that be the issue?

Stupid question but if over heating is the issue is water cooling a bad idea lol

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol i dont like water and electronics. Once you get them set youll be happy. As long as they are installed right your voltage should be adjustable very low to normal. I set all mine to 1.8 cuz im ballsy and like the over drive lol.

12. 3D Printer Man

I think the best thing is that you can replace the board.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes to both. That could be it and swapping the boards is easy (and cheap).

14. Jeffrey Wheeless

PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE!!! 2 of the controllers give off nothing at all, the y (meaning x at this point sorry) and the z, the other two have been adjusted so they show ~1.75 when the multimeter is at 2.5V is that right? The only other option is 10V with the line and three dots, also btw im not the best at using a multimeter. Still though progress has been made and im going to switch those two controllers out for new ones and if they still dont work then to the new board it shall be.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Under warranty, of course, I would still have Robo send you replacements (even if you buy more).

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a rare (really rare) chance that the RAMPS is defective not the drivers.
    Just saying that :)
    99% I would say it is the drivers since they are the hardest 'working' part of the board.

18. Jeffrey Wheeless

It works and I think it works within the range of acceptable temperatures, although if you know what hot is considered let me know. But everything works very well. Final question, probably, my x moves instead of my y and vice versa; I can just change the cable right? I'm gonna try but I've stepped away for a celebratory drink

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Congrats Jeffrey! Awesome job! Yes switch the wires on the ramps if you haven't already. Hot = owe that sucker burned me :)

20. Jeffrey Wheeless

Just in case anyone finds this in the future and has any if the same issues here's some of the stuff I found that helped greatly:

- M10 bolts on the z axis to keep it from moving around
    - Soda cans under the z carriage to balance it
    - Turns out all the voltage controllers had to be replaced because the old ones just couldn't do it for some reason
    - Instead of printing a new duct I just dremmeled my old one for the fan and seemed to work well
    - Buy extra parts
    - take note of the wires up top, I still haven't seen a picture detailing what each one does
    - Most importantly don't short your wires and I wouldn't of had to do most of this

Thank you all for your help and incredible assistance, if you aren't experts in engineering then you should be.

#160 Jeffrey Wheeless, May 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
    mark tomlinson and Geof like this.