1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved PLS Help! Print quality suffers!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matthew Bartlett, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Bartlett

Matthew Bartlett New Member

Hello! I have had my robo r1 for about a month now, and I love it a lot! But, there is a problem. This. There is major artifacting on the print.
    IMG_3592.jpg
    I dunno what the problem is. I've searched through all my settings and I can't really find an end to it. When I first got the printer it wasn't like this. I think it may be a miscalibration (StepsPerMM), but I've never dealt with that before. Please tell me what's going on! I've had multiple printers in the past, but this is something that has never happened to me before!
    My standard settings are:

Infill speed: 60mms
    Inside perimeter: 60mms
    Outside perimeter: 55mms
    First layer speed: 45%
    Layer height: 0.2mm
    First layer height: 0.25mm
    HATCHBOX PLA
    Hotend: 210c
    Bed: 65c
    Loops: 4

I have manipulated the settings multiple times and nothing seems to help

Attached Files:

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Ok...so sometimes it can be the filament. I know white can be a difficult on to get a good finish. You say you have the R1. Is it the R1+ or the R1? Does the Z axis have couplers at the bottom securing the threaded rods to the motor or is the leadscrew attached directly to the motor?

3. Matthew Bartlett

It is the original R1, PLA+ABS model. there are the lead screw couplers at the bottom, yes. However I have already tried tightening them, and doing so did make a slightly noticeable difference, however not by much. Also, No matter What color I use, the same artifacting effect is on all other colored prints.

4. Matthew Bartlett

I have heard of the motors with the Z axis screws built in, but I'm not sure what mods I'll have to make to the Switches of the Z axis, and the firmware. I've had some bad experiences in the past with Marlin :(

Have yo made this upgrade, and if so, what did you have to print to mount the switches back to the X axis slider, and what did you have to change in the firmware?

5. danzca6

The leadscrew upgrade is great. It got rid of the Z ribbing I was getting on the sides of my print. I had it a lot worse than what you show on your print. The only real firmware I needed was to change the z steps. Of course there is a leadscrew upgrade firmware version already available. Not sure what you mean about the switches. They come with new brackets for the z endstops. Do you have a picture of the ones you are concerned about?

6. Matthew Bartlett

I was just concerned that the bracket that held the bolts and switches was not included, and where to print it. So, mind me asking but, what was your steps per mm before and after the upgrade? I'm starting to consider the upgrade, and I'd like to know all that's required to fit it.

7. Matthew Bartlett

It works on the original too right?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll be good with the leadscrew kit from robo and the leadscrew firmware. No pointed items needed. @mark tomlinson has done it on Kickstarter models with huge success

9. Matthew Bartlett

OK, I'll try and buy it, If I can find a place to get it at considering that it's sold out on the robo page.

10. Matthew Bartlett

Where can I get the upgrade at besides Robo 3d? Is it possible to get it elsewhere?

11. danzca6

12. danzca6

Here is yet another alternative that actually uses the motors with integrated leadscrews off of amazon. I forgot @WheresWaldo is using a solid coupler. I think both will be good alternatives. I do caution with using the speed changes in the firmware shown in the video. I think he has it going a bit too fast, but it is good info none the less.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. Matthew Bartlett

Thank you very much! I will look into the alternatives. I will keep you updated.

14. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I look at it 3 times and for the size it's not that bad. Maybe I need better glasses.

15. Matthew Bartlett

Im very sorry for the late reply! I totally forgot about this thread.
    The R1 is still working perfectly. I fixed the issue by installing new drivers and putting some new fixed belt tensioners and lead screw supporters. The machine has had about 850+ hours on it and it still works like a dream!
    Thank you to all who helped me on this journey, and I will look into buying the Robo R2 soon.

Take care.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.