1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Poll - Have you chipped your glass bed and wondered why?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rigmarol, Feb 9, 2017.

?

Has your glass build plate ever chipped?

1. No.

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  3. Yes but I dropped something on it or otherwise made a mistake causing it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. If Yes, I tried removing my work right after it finished with NO COOLDOWN?

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. If Yes, I waited for the build plate to cool completely down before removing my work?

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. If Yes, I used a metal tool to help remove my work?

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tom Dig

Tom Dig New Member

I have had my Robo for 3 years now an now have lost 2 plates due to delamination. Print a part and go back after it has cooled down to find the part pulled up with bits of glass stuck to it.
    Using ABS and glue stick. Glue stick is he ONLY method I found to keep ABS from warping.
    In the picture you can see a HUGE chunk of glass came up on my last print leaving me very little bed to work with until I get it replaced.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I wish that they would switch to different beds. Glass is not really needed.
    I am converting one to aluminum...

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This phenomenon is not unique to the Robo it is something that happens to a lot of borosilicate glass beds, especially with filaments that stick really well to the build plate such as PET-T and PET-G.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Buy a thin sheet of plate glass from local hardware store and use binder clips to hold it in place, short-term fix but back to printing

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This is what I use, a cheap piece of picture frame glass, about 100 hours of prints and not a single chip, but it was only like $9.00 at Lowes, so cheap to replace if it breaks. Binder clips was $1.00 available in the cheap section of Target or any Dollar Store, even the bins at the register of Staples might have some.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

I pulled a little ~2mm triangular chip out of my print bed with my latest print. I'd used Aqua Net hairspray and waited for the bed to cool, but not quite to room temperature -- it was about 24C when I used the Robo-supplied scraper on the print.

I hope this doesn't cause too many problems. The chip is close to the center of the bed, so it's likely to be in the middle of a lot of prints, if they're positioned in the default way.

7. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

FWIW, since my last post I've had two more chips come out of my print bed. At this rate it'll be like a cratered moonscape by summer. :( I've just ordered a PEI sheet in hopes of arresting the deterioration and enabling printing over the chipped areas.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Worst case use a thin sheet of window glass placed on top of the bed.
    PEI is a good option as well if it works for you.