1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Poor printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by derek greenaway, Apr 24, 2017.

1. derek greenaway

derek greenaway New Member

Hey guys. Super new to 3D printers. The prints im getting are all stringy sorta looking and are slanting/collapsing in on themselves. i was wondering if anyone knew exactly what im doing wrong?
    Heres a pic:
    IMG_0463.JPG
    Ive tried my best to keep things level. Are my settings in Matter Control messed up or something?

Thanks!

2. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Derek,
    one thing that will make it easier to diagnose are more details. Can you tell us the following?

Material: PLA? ABS?
    Printing Temparture? Fan Settings? Bed Temperature?
    Layer thickness (100/200/300mm)?

Have you managed to print anything else? The biggest issue with 3D printing is that some symptoms can have multiple causes. This could be a problem with the filament, temperature issue, calibration or other problems. The more we know of your configuration, the better.

Is this print adhering to the bed?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. derek greenaway

Hey,

Material: PLA 1.75mm
    Fan settings are all at 100%
    Extruder Temp. is at 210 degrees C
    Print bed Temp. is 50 degrees C
    Layer Height is 0.1mm

After printing a few more things, such as small symbols, it seems like a layer height of 0.1mm and a first layer height of 0.3mm seems to look the best. However im still having the problem of holes on the very top layer of my prints. Ive tried messing with the infill settings and cranking them way up and increasing the count and thickness of the top solid layers as well as slowing down the rate at which the top solid layers print. One run i tried I set infill to 100% and there were still holes.

The prints are adhering to the bed in the sense that its not being dragged around during printing. Its easy to get them off after leaving them to cool for a little while or using some tools.

Overall the prints are looking a lot better than the ones before such as the one in the picture i posted at the beginning of this thread. The sides and the base for the most part look solid and ive been able to rectify any stringiness and slanted printing.

Thanks so much!

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

With very small layer heights, such as 0.10 mm you need more top layers to span any percentage of infill less than solid. If you don't you will have holes or bubbles in the top, which is probably what you are seeing. Pictures would let us see the problem too.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

also you want to reduce printing speed with the increase in resolution.
    If you start with 1/2 the print speed for 1/2 the layer height it will be ballpark at least :)

6. derek greenaway

Heres two pictures. This is just with default high settings which are partly made up of the settings i posted before. Increasing my overall layer height hasn't proven itself to fix the problem. I can change the top layer height or amount and Ive had it set for 5 layers (so 0.5mm) and 1mm, which is what the print in the two pictures has but ive still had the same problem. Does the top layer just need to be way thicker?
    IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0467.JPG

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looks like it printed quite hot too.
    You want at least a 1mm top/bottom layers and usually the outer shell thickness too.

8. derek greenaway

oh could heat be the problem? it looks pretty wobbly but its quite small so you can hardly notice it.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Looks like its having trouble extruding to me for the main thing, as well as hot, or cooling fan isn't doing its job. But I think either your extruder is slipping, partially clogged nozzle, or needs a bit of oil ( see link below ). You can print way too hot and it will not look quite like that. I think the temp is a secondary issue from the main issue. Your second picture on the last post with pictures that shows it from the side looks like it really had some extrusion problems.

Mark oiler?

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...hotend-jam-clogs-seasoning-and-an-oiler.3564/

#11 KTMDirtFace, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017