1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Poor Wifi Connectivity?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SolS, Mar 15, 2018.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, even the Pi 3 B+ caps at 300 MBPS. In their defense I imagine they assumed WiFi would be the main interface.

2. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

Today Octoprint's back to taking 30 seconds to load. I must've been seeing something like a cache behavior yesterday? Anyway, this makes more sense since the printer's still on WiFi to my router, even though the computer's now on ethernet. Is 30 seconds the kind of time you guys see for Octoprint to come up from the printer to your browser?

Since I have experts on tap here, is there a terminal command I can use on the robo phone app to shut down the printer? I have a WiFi controlled power outlet but Robo wants you to do a system shutdown instead of just turning off the power. Not sure how important that is. If I start a one hour print and leave home for the day it would be nice to use my remote controls to shut off the printer later. Or maybe a custom G-code? Probably that only controls the mechanical functions and not the controller itself.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I believe the WiFi interface also is controlled by the USB chip. but I am not 100% sure. I have seen tests that say the built in WiFi tops out about 40 - 42 Mbit/s. I an not sure the rPi3 B+ improves on that, so far all I can tell is they shielded the WiFi circuitry and added 5.4 Ghz band.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The reason Robo does the shutdown sequence is to help mitigate an issue that sometimes appears when you abruptly shut power off to the rPi. On more occasions than wanted, removing power can corrupt the µSD card. In order to prevent it you really need to shutdown the rPi with proper Linux commands. that is what they are doing.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Totally within the normal bounds on mine. I have OctoPrint running on 4 Robos and 2 others, that is well within the norm for an initial loading in the browser.

6. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

Thanks for those inputs about the timing and about the µSD card. It helps to know more about what's going on when I come up to troubleshooting. A remote shut down command would be really great then, so I can turn off the printer at home from a restaurant or shopping expedition. What's on the µSD card? Just the "internal" print files, or more important system software that would be really bad to corrupt? Seems like a major design weakness if it's the latter, and these printers would be getting damaged frequently if that were the case.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The SD card in the Pi has the entire Raspbian OS on it (the operating system for the Pi)... not just print files.
    Making a backup of your card is a great idea that we have documented in other threads :)

8. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

Jeez. A backup is an excellent idea, which I'll do as soon as this print finishes...
    Thanks so much for the hint/reminder.
    I'm also going to go read through the R2 threads. Then I'll know everything;-)

mark tomlinson likes this.