1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Possible Print Bed Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Greg L, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Greg L

Greg L New Member

So I've had my Robo 3D since late November of 2017, I played with it a little right after getting it (maybe 20 hours print time) and then didn't touch it until late February when a friend was wondering if I might be able to print a part for his model railroad. After that it dawned on me that I had a home project that it would probably work great for and designed the part and started printing them.

The first few parts turned out great, exactly like I wanted, but then suddenly the thin end of them started coming off the bed and curling during the print, (takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes), giving me an unusable print. Matter Control insists that the bed is coming up to temperature correctly, and staying there, and I only have maybe 50 print hours on the bed, but I was wondering if the bed was starting to go bad already? I honestly hope not at $75 per bed.

I also thought that maybe since my part was a wedge shaped block that went down to a point, that maybe the material thickness was the cause, so I added a block to the end that I could break off once the print was finished, but that popped loose from the bed after about twenty minutes of printing as well, and the results were the same.

I've tried rotating the piece before printing, and the results have been even worse, one time the whole part popped away from the bed, and needless to say that was pretty disastrous. In all fairness, I did switch from the filament that came with my printer, to a different brand (white) before I started printing. I got about three good pieces before the issue started, and maybe three since, with five garbage ones.

Anyone have any possible insight into the issue?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try different filament, you didn't mention the type so ... PLA/ABS/Nylon/PET/PETG/whatever so I can't offer any targeted advice there.

but...

Each spool of filament can have different temperature profiles (I usually suggest testing with a small model like the deprime). They should all be close, but may differ a bit.

For PLA, if it is curling away from the bed that is usually too much heat (you can print it on a cold bed) or just bad filament.
    More heat is not always your friend, you should have the Z offset calibrated so that it good decent adhesion to the bed with as little heat as needed. If you first layer doesn't look like this:

http://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/37035715-get-your-prints-to-stick-check-your-skirt

you still have some tuning to do.

3. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Are you using anything on the bed for adhesion? I'm a fan of hair spray.

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I've had better results with hair spray than with a glue stick. Polyimide seems to work well even without any adhesives on it. What is the temperature of your heat bed?

#4 BrooklynBay, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  5. Greg L

Greg L New Member

Mark,

Been using PLA. I just switched from the blue PLA that came with my printer, to white PLA Hatchbox brand. Like I mentioned before, the first three I printed, I had no issues. The printer bed by default is set to 50C. The printer keeps it on unless you manually turn it off during the print process. The one time I did that was a disaster. lol

As for adhesion, I've never used anything, wasn't aware I needed to.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

What @izumi5188 said, that helps you start with a very even playing field. The most used video has been posted here at least 100 times. If you can't find it go to YouTube and look for Thomas Sanladerer and Extruder Calibration.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Have you printed a temperature tower or other test to see if you are extruding at where you should be?
    The extruder calibration @WheresWaldo pointed out is also a good place to start.

8. Greg L

Greg L New Member

I will take a look at the video and see if it helps. I've read a couple thing here this morning that I think will be helpful to try. Honestly this is my first 3D printer, so I'm new to this all.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Greg L everyone here was new at some point, no worries.

Geof likes this.