1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

power cut while printing ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by moelafi, Aug 4, 2016.

1. moelafi

moelafi Member

hi,

i live in a country where we still suffer from power cuts sometimes and i would like to know does a print completely fails if power is cut form the printer while its printing ? or will i be able to resume the print after i power it back ?

thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No.
    Nothing that simple.

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

UPS is the way to go. That should help with any temporary outages or brownouts that could kill your electronics. I have one on almost every electronic device I plug in. Been thinking about getting a whole house generator as well since I live in the sticks and we loose power. Not to save my 3d prints per say, but for everything else.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Of course you could try something like this. I watched this some time ago, but have never tried it.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

UPS is the smart way to go :)

We also have a whole house generator, but it takes time to get it going (we live in Florida -- it is not a matter of living in the sticks, our weather guarantees outages)

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ups and a generator.most ups are good for less than 15 mins on max draw

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

You could always keep an eye out for when one of these goes on sale again:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FFVI8A

And splice it into one of the many 500W UPS blocks you'll find at just about any given Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Then you have a 200 amp/hour reserve UPS backup to run your printer off of.

EDIT: It's what I did and what my current 3d printer setup runs off of.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  8. EJ Mac

EJ Mac New Member

UPS would be helpful. :eek:)

9. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I believe I've found one of the simplest answers to one of the most vexing questions after a print fails with a good amount of actually good print still on the bed. 'What do I do NOW????" (Whiny Bitch voice). If you use S3D, this becomes pretty simple. I use it. I'm not using others right now, so it might not be exactly the same answer. Don't know. First, DON'T MOVE THE PRINT!!!!. Clean it up, blobs and strings off. Kind of clean it up to the last good layer. Second: Measure the Z height it got to. As accurate as you can, but we adjust later. I used digital calipers for this. Third: Re-open your object in S3D, DO NOT change the original settings. Hit "Prepare to Print". Watch the little print animation until the Z height is within 1 layer height of your measurement. Write that value down. Low or high, use the closest. Just that layer. Fourth: Go back to the main page, bring down the Tools Tab, and hit "Variable Process Wizard:. Input your layer height, and create a split/new process. Double check the Advanced tab for each process and make sure the 1st one has a "stop at" point at the last layer height. The second process, uncheck any "Additions", or you'll end up with a skirt/brim or raft. Go to "Advanced" and make sure the "Start At" is correct. Now, final step - "Prepare to Print" - use the second process only. It should show starting to print at the last good layer. Feed it to the printer and smile...[​IMG]

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I just used to sink it through the bed in the GUI until it was at the right layer and then hit slice/print :)

The stuff below the bed does not slice.

Robert55 likes this.