1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Power Supply fan surging at startup

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Noel, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Mike Noel

Mike Noel New Member

In the past few weeks I have heard what sounds like a fan surging during startup of my R1+. With the bottom cover removed the sound seems to come from inside of what I assume is the power supply under the back left corner of the machine. I don't see any way to access that box from the bottom of the machine to further investigate. Any one have any ideas how to fix this?

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I've never done it on the Robo but I have replaced Power Supplies on many other devices. Once the fan goes, I've always replaced the whole Power Supply. Never attempted a fan repair on one. Just wasn't worth it for a something so easily swapped out.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Mike Noel

Mike Noel New Member

Turns out it's easy to slide out of the brackets holding it in place, no screws involved. I think it's the thermostat controlling the fan that is causing the surging during startup and not a mechanical problem with the fan itself. The fan is only supposed to run when the power supply gets hot enough to justify the extra cooling. Guess I'll keep using it and just replace it if and when it fails. Thanks for the responses.

5. Domenic

Domenic Member

So you did end up replacing the fan fairly easily