1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Powering Raspberry Pi and peripherals from printer PSU.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Oisin, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

I am hoping to power the Raspberry Pi server running Octoprint that I've got stored inside my printer from the printers PSU. That would mean the only wire coming from the printer is its own power cable. That would be satisfyingly neat.

Can anyone recommend which terminals might be good for this? The amperage coming from the PSU seems to be too low. My Pi boots but the Wifi never connects so I assume the peripherals aren't getting the power they need.

Could you also recommend a good voltage regulator to step the voltage and current down to about 5V and maybe 3A?

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I can't recommend but I saw someone on here I think do a super ghetto way by wiring a Phone USB charger to the power supply to power the PI. No idea if that is safe or smart or anything :)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would not do this unless you are going to upgrade the P/S to one with more wattage.
    The stock one is 350w (just so you know).

The correct place to land it is on the 12v rail directly on the power supply output.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Regulator-Charging-GETWIREDUSA-FX199/dp/B01D0QID4U

That will get you there

edit: Something like this will work if you want to upgrade the PSU.
    Check the sizes, but it should be close

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer-Project/dp/B016C2DIWG

4. Oisin

Oisin Member

Oh sweet. I've already got both of those components. I was wiring the regulator from the power plug that goes in to the Arduino (or RAMPS, not sure of my terminology) rather than directly off the PSU. It didn't work though. Maybe directly off the PSU will work.

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Oisin

Oisin Member

Very interesting. That looks pretty good, Danzca. I was also trying to think of a way to kill power remotely. I'll look in to this more. Thanks very much.

7. Oisin

Oisin Member

Just checking something before I wire in the new PSU. The old one says '12V 29A' and the new one says '12V 33A'. The higher amperage is alright isn't it? Don't want to fry anything!

*edit*. I found that it is fine and won't damage anything due to the board only drawing what it needs.

#7 Oisin, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just means you could power more 'stuff' if you needed. You are good.