1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Pricing

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BJS227, Dec 11, 2017.

1. BJS227

BJS227 Member

Does anyone have an suggestion on how to price item for resale?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Time.

Seriously, it is all about the time.
    Baring some minor adjustment for a premium material, the time in modelling and printing and post-processing is what counts.

Decide what you want/need to make per-hour and bill accordingly :)

@Geof can be more helpful here...

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

When you are in business for yourself, everything comes down to MARGINS. In order to make any money on anything your margins have to be more than 0 points. Your break-even point is a combination of how much you paid for all the material things that are necessary to even do a print job (electricity, filament, printer time, etc.) plus what you charge for your time. Then however many points you charge on top of that is what you will actually make, you have to eat. All of those things are what I consider when pricing a printed model.

Of course you can always work for free, that is what a lot of people do when they are first starting out. I don't ever recommend that people work for free.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It's all about what your market can handle.

I try to stay around 5.00/ hour print time for most 3k and under machines.

Modeling costs by the hour. Even the cheapest modeler a don't do it cheap, browse around your area. Fair is between 50 and 150/hour for most things, min charge of 1 hour. The modeling is a one time charge separate from production run

Sooooo in a nut shell with no information other than what to charge

Model charge then :
    5-15.00 set up charge then
    Print time + filament (plus your upcharge for inventory stock ) + buffer on the whole job with expected 15% fallout = per part price

can quote something for you if you want. DM me.

Word of warning, if your good don't short sell yourself. Commercial work is always more than joe bob down the street. Kids get a toy for free. Get excited about even the boring projects

mark tomlinson likes this.