1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print Bed is not heating

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dwal53, Feb 6, 2018.

1. dwal53

dwal53 New Member

I have been experiencing issues with my print bed not heating up. Before I would just wiggle the wires and it work again. This time that is not working. I have done everything up to replacing the bed with an old one and it still does not work. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

likely a failure of the ramps board (Q3 mosfet)

I'm assuming its showing good room temperature when cold? Same or close to the hotend?

3. dwal53

dwal53 New Member

Yes, its around 21C-23C.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

either the connection is not secure or the ramps board needs replaced.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The heater itself could also be bad, but that's a little bit rare.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. dwal53

dwal53 New Member

I found some burn damage on the green connectors on the electronics board. I ordered a new boards from Robo and a new hot end. I've installed them. The printer powers on and is connected to MatterControl. I got the print bed to heat up once but it took about 5 minutes to do so and when it go to 50C it when down to 46C and back up, now it will not heat up. I've never seen it do this before. On top of all of this I cannot get the extrude to heat up. I tried using both the new and the old extruder but neither will work and now the bed won't heat up at all. I can control the other motors like nothing it wrong.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you replace the green connector ? Its possible its making a bad connection that can ruin your new board. please share some photos of your board? Sort of sounds like a loose connection on the heat bed. Is the thermistor and heater hooked up to the correct wiring ? its very easy to mix them up and they do fit.

8. dwal53

dwal53 New Member

Yes, I replaced the connectors. I typed the PN into amazon and ordered a pack of them. I Replaced the Extruder power connectopr as well because it had a little burn damage. Not as much as the heat bed power connector which is shown. The original green connectors had tensioners that were like normal bolts, to tighten you turned the screws right and loosen you turn left. The new ones are the opposite but the numbers on the side are the same as the original. Connector.png Board.png

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

are you certain you got the correct connector (Voltage and amperage rating ok?). Typically burnt up connectors is a lose connection and on the heat bed is normally the Q3 Mosfet failing. I will say if there is a thermistor issue the temp will fluctuate like you describe and any thermistor issue detected will not allow the machine to hear. When connected do you get a min or max temp error ?

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Green connectors come in two styles: 10 amp and 15 amp... since the bed WANTS 11 amps, you need the 15 amp ones.

Geof likes this.