1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print cooling causes temp fall err

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DJ Sterrett, Feb 19, 2019.

1. DJ Sterrett

DJ Sterrett New Member

I recently cracked my bed on my r1 plus. I mended it back together with blue painters tape. Ever since the I have been getting a temp fall err. I got curious and disconnected the parts fan and no error. I have an e3dv6 hotend with a sock. Is my heater core going bad? Is my thermister at fault? Do I just print without the parts fan on? This seems to happen right after the raft prints and the fan kicks on for layer cooling. I believe my problem is with the addition of blue tape the air is bouncing off the bed and cooling the heater block...i may be way off on this assumption. Can I redirect the fan in any way? I printed off the fan adapter when i installed the v6. Im at a loss.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is your parts cooling fan blowing on the hotend or the part printed?
    Did you swap the fan mount when you installed the E3D (the stock one would blow on the E3D -- that part needs to be swapped with the hotend) You mentioned this, but be sure you used the correct one for the E3D you installed (v5 and v6 have different fan mounts)
    Lastly -- use a 40w heater core to help (but get the fan pointed correctly first).

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey there, step the fan up slowly by layer, 30% layer 2, 40% layer 3 etc etc until you get to full fan speed. I have not had temp fall issues since installing a 40 watt heater cartridge

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. DJ Sterrett

DJ Sterrett New Member

I did reposition the fan with the adapter i printed off. Ive been printing with the E3dv6 for about a year no problems. The problems arrived after i had to piece together the bed.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that doesn't fix it then you have serious electronic or electrical issues :)

(or a really -- REALLY big fan)

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The rub is that way back in the E3D v5 days, all hotends came with 40w cores.
    Then they all started using smaller ones. The hexagon has a 30w and the new E3D comes with a 25w ... OK if everything else is working correctly although it will take longer to stabilize.

I just routinely use 40w cores and have for years.

Geof likes this.