1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print estimated time off by nearly 30%

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtn7040, Jul 22, 2015.

1. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Using simplify 3d and verified cura the estimated print times are way off. I'm thinking this is a function of the set accelerations being different from the actual printer firmware. Does any one know how to change the values in simplify so the times are a little closer?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Mine are always way off as well. Might message S3D for help @Joey

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

This would be better posted on the actual Simplify3D support forums, wouldn't it?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Solved-there is currently no way to change rates to get a closer ECT.

#4 jtn7040, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  5. Frankn

Frankn Member

I have had them off by 30% over and under the stated build time. It's a case of variable tolerance buildup.
    The thing is your next reprint will probably take the same amount of time to build. Frank

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It's exactly what you said: acceleration and jerk settings are a bigger driver of total print time than speed. The driver makes some assumptions. If your part has a lot of long straight lines, it will be fairly accurate, but if you've got a lot of geometry requiring acceleration, it won't be close. Simplify3D is not specific to any printer, so it will have to make an assumption around acceleration. You've got printers that need to have acceleration at 900 or less and printers with acceleration over 4000. You can google around and find postings on other forums where people have done the math. It's a huge effect.

Some of the slicers that are built for a specific printer do pretty well with this. For example, if you're running Cura with a stock Ultimaker, it will do pretty well.

I don't think you can do anything about it, but it's probably worth a few seconds to fire a message off to support. If you do contact S3D and get a good response, please share.

7. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

They confirmed that there is no way to easily change those settings in the software at this time, however they said that would look into adding that feature in the future.