1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print Failing in same spot every time.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I can't figure this one out. the model seems fine, the STL seems fine I ran it through netfabb.

It takes me about 2 hours to print up until it starts trying to print the rounded bar for this spool holder...at that point it fails every time and prints in the air. the Extruder clogs every single time in this section for some reason that I cannot figure out.

4/4 failing in the exact same spot more or less.

8 hours wasted lol. Its super easy to unjam and sometimes its not really jammed its more just a little clogged in the nozzle.

Any ideas? Driving me crazy and I have no idea why its doing it.

Printing with Green PLA
    Simplify3d
    210 Nozzle ( I have tried 190 - 210 temps .. same fails )
    60 Bed
    Cooling fan on.
    .2mm layer height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Perhaps (S.W.A.G. here) increase the minimum time per layer.
    It may need to cool down more between those small layers.

3. KTMDirtFace

Simplify3d slows it down pretty good already for that part. ( According to the simplify3d preview thing that part is speed Blue 6.0mm/s ) Edit: oh min time between layers? .. i'll look into that in my settings thanks.

Maybe try more nozzle heat? I noticed the layers may have been separating there too.

#3 KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace I had a similar issue, what it turned out to be a very little amount of PLA stuck in the heat break, not enough to feel it when inserting filament cold, but as it heated and expanded over time it would create enough of an obstruction to prevent the new filament from extruding cleanly and then jamming. My solution was to take apart the Hexagon and torch it to melt every last bit out of there.

5. KTMDirtFace

Hmmm it does seem like any print over about 2 hours jams for me. I have had the hot-end apart so many times..i hate taking it off lol.

I printed this without any trouble dunno why that dang spool holder jams at the end every time
    [​IMG]

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, but those have huge layers compared to the part that was failing.
    If you leave it printing fast on small layers you can end up with a mess since the previous layer is still not solidified enough when the next one is put down.

Just a thought, easy to test.

7. KTMDirtFace

I'll try.... I know what you mean when it prints and looks like a leaning tower of goo.. that's not whats happening here. I'm not seeing it printing while its super hot and look like a mush tower.. its just jamming and not extruding propperly off and on eventually failing completley. Its not a feed issue though I don't think.

Its jamming on everything i try now. minor jams if i kill the print and manually extrude through simplify3d's controle pannel it starts spitting material out fine..sometimes I may have to retract it and then cut the filament and refeed. So annoying I guess i'll pull the hotend apart again.

This has been my main issue with this printer..its super flakey and un-reliable...and I don't know why...if it would stop these mini jams it would be fine... I rarely use it and use my makerbot R2 for almost everything . because my robo ts about 50% chance of a fail.

#7 KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PLA, I assume you considered the oiler?

9. KTMDirtFace

PLA or ABS, Colorfabb XT doesn't matter all jam...but yea currently PLA

I never have had to oil my replicator 2.

I have considered it I guess I might have to try that now.. it seems like half and half on here some say they never have needed it and some say they do.

I also have this nozzle on my Robo3d ( and my replicator 2 )
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-...976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d639b998

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I went for over a year without one.
    Then, at some point I switched nozzles and became a citizen of clog city.

I could seldom finish a print without a clog/jam.

Once I discovered the oiler I just added it and forgot about it.
    If the nozzle needs it, it is there. If it doesn't <SHRUG> nothing lost.

11. KTMDirtFace

EDIT: Per your post above.. I was having these issues with the stock nozzle too.

Went back to print another Mobius case for my buddy ( the images a few posts up )

Was going good until it got to the intricate end part that is thin and sticks up higher than the rest. Jammed/failed... I was watching it..it wasn't looking like super mush though so not sure why it clogged again. you may be onto something mark. Though I don't have this problem on the replicator 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to Simplify3D that part that sticks up at the end is printing at with the BLUE color at 6.0 mm/s

[​IMG]

I guess i will see if there is an option to pause it between layers or something..its already printing super slow.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can do this in Simplify3d. in the Slicer profile look at the COOLING TAB and set the SPEED OVERRIDES and FAN OVERRIDES.

I think by default it allows an override to 20% of normal speed, but you can change that.

In repetier it was simple to set a minimum time per layer and if it got done sooner it would just move the extruder aside and wait...

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  13. KTMDirtFace

[​IMG]

So should I just lower the 20% number to 15 or something? ( I think thats right i'll try that )

EDIT: I dropped it to 10% which makes that last bit go from 6.0 mm/s to 3.2 mm/s I will try this. Thanks

Kinda confusing and the tooltip doesn't help... sorry this isn't a robo question.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)
    No worries.

The concept is the same, you want it to force the print head to take longer to print each layer so that it has time to cool down a bit before the extruder comes back over it.

Forcing the cooling fan to run is a good idea too if it is not ABS.

15. KTMDirtFace

Cool thanks yea the cooling fan is going full boar after the first layer. with a fan duct from
    Galaxius

Its printing right now.. if it fails before it gets to the small slow part..I'll go print an oiler lol. if not I'll let you know if going from 6 mm/sec to 3.2 mm/sec worked.

#15 KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015
  16. KTMDirtFace

UGGG it just failed before the end slow intricate part ( again on the mobius case posted above not the spool arm ).. its so random

Guess its time for an oiler?

Edit: LOL I'm printing that oiler from a post here...left my super slow 10% settings ( which is the whole thing ) its taking FOREVER lol... suprised it hasn't failed randomly yet. Additionally that oiler is way bigger than I thought haha.

#16 KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015
  17. KTMDirtFace

What do I do now? I can't even print the oiler... and this was with Marks reccomendation of lowring the speed in the overrides.. it was lowered to 10% so basically the entire print was printing at 3.2 mm/second.

Same type of fail.. it was 50 minutes in about. Then it got a mini clog( this clog requried a full retraction, cut and refeed ). as per usual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#17 KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015
  18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I'm telling you there is a tiny bit of PLA stuck in the heat break.

19. KTMDirtFace

Ugg. ok i'll pull it apart thanks.

I dont smoke but I have a butane torch.. my smokey friends always steal my lighters...I guess i'll get a lighter at 711 tomorro and light up my torch and burn it unmerciful after work tomorrow.

Meanwhile i'm attempting to print that oiler at .4 instead of .2 right now

#19 KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015
  20. KTMDirtFace

Oiler finished at .4..but its not pretty.. there is some layers in the middle that were "skipped/missed" or something..like a half a layer was skpped ( it probably was! knowing this thing ).. I dont know.

Ok waldo I'm tearing this thing down yet again tomrrow!

EDIT: Nothing to do with this post but ...
    Meanwhile my replicator2 is churning out parts like its nothing ( inABS ).. the white colorfabb XT I had sucked bad on the Rep 2 and the robo.. I tried every setting imaginable. used 60% of the roll I got some prints that finished but meh.

#20 KTMDirtFace, Jun 28, 2015