1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print jobs stopping.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kingbob, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

2. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Nope, tried that too. Get the same error as before:

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
    avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

3. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Sounds like a possible hardware problem with the USB (either Arduino or Computer).
    Could also be a corrupted Firmware on the Arduino. There is a way to fix that, but it's not simple: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Silly thing, but make sure you have tried a different USB cable...

5. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Thats why i tried with my laptop. It will happily connect to a UNO R3 to upload, but wouldnt to the MEGA in the Robo.

I'll look into reflashing it, but short of replacing it, anyone else have any other suggestions?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What specifically do you see in your device manager.

7. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Yes i also tried a different USB cable, 3 even

In device manager, it shows up as com3, as a MEGA2560. A few times while reinstalling things its shown up as a Teensy USB, but changing the driver to the Arduino supplied one sets it back to the MEGA. By default it sets the baud etc to 9600/8/none/1/none.

#27 Kingbob, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  8. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Whilst i'm not giving up trying to fix it, i ordered a replacement Taurino classic just in case it comes to that.

2 people like this.
  9. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Well, despite hours more spent installing/reinstalling/etc drivers etc, still dead.
    Still get this when i try to upload the config with the Arduino software:

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
    avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Thats using the AVRISP mkII programmer, which it seems to default to.

Any other suggestions before i rip it apart to replace the Taurino?

10. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

I think I had the same error some weeks ago at the 2nd Hand ROBO I got from a friend - finally I ordered an Arduino 2560 from Amazon Germany, flashed the FW without Problems and the ROBO was back at life.
    This is the Arduino I ordered - click

Good luck - Best regards,

Matthias

11. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

12. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Well, after all the swearing, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, the Taurino finally arrived and is installed. fedex lied to me, said it'd arrive wednesday, then said the following monday, then delivered it to work 20 mins after i left on friday! D'oh!

Just got it all together, and already its working again. The Arduino software was able to talk to it to upload the firmware no problems, am reading temperatures seemingly ok, all axes work, everything heated up and a test print has just started successfully! (heres hoping it finishes successfully too!)

I suspect the original fault where it was reporting a drop in temp, and thus indicating a faulty thermistor, was a red herring. Even when it said the extruder temp had dropped, Mattercontrol was reporting the temp at 230c, so i suspect it was a symptom of something going wrong with the MEGA board. As evidenced by the fact that i later couldn't connect to it at all.

3 people like this.
  13. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Spoke too soon...
    I checked all the leveling manually first, homed all the axes, and started the print. But when doing its auto-leveling, it gets to the low point on the Z axis, but then the steppers keep going!

End up winding the wires for the auto-leveling around the threaded bolt. Which to me implies that the endstop switches arent being read properly. BUT, when i do a "Home all", it gets to the bed, and stops, implying that they ARE working. WTF?

Edit: well, none of the end stops are working. Will try a different firmware version.

#33 Kingbob, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  14. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

OK, so i was using a wrong firmware i think. i'm now using the Auto_level_6_10.zip firmware that Mike posted here:
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/z-down-not-working.2986/#post-25422

If i use MC to Home all axes, it will, and it seems to register the end stop switches at the appropriate point. If i tell it to home any axis by itself, it will. BUT, if i manually control the Z axis, and command it to go down beyond where the endpoint switches should stop it, they dont. The blocks and nut keep going down. This happens on all axes, not just Z. I can tell them to move beyond their end stops.

Same if i do a G29 to level, it reaches the bed, and the blocks keep going, resulting in the wires getting twisted around the threaded shaft.

The Z end stops must be working for a "Home" to work. I've checked where they're plugged in and it seems correct. Looking in the terminal if i issue an M119 all 3 axes show as triggered after being "Homed".

It feels like a software issue.

Suggestions?

#34 Kingbob, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  15. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

And excuse the running comentary, i always like to give as much info as possible to help resolve things faster :p

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Matter Control does weird things to the auto-level. Use their Automatic Print Leveling utility instead of G29

17. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Always worked before i had to replace the MEGA.

18. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

The auto level wizard did the same thing. Got the nozzle to the bed, but the spindles kept turning.
    Never had this problem before, its like Mattercontrol is just ignoring the end stops being triggered.

19. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

OK, got that issue sorted, and i have a print job printing! YAY!

My only remaining issue is that it seems to be ignoring my Z offset, so the nozzle tends to rip up the blue tape. I tried the sliding paper trick to work out the right offset but still ripped up the tape. I'm slowly increasing it, so we'll see, maybe it is offsetting (is that a word?) but my increments are so small i cant tell the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.