1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print shift

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lance Weston, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I keep a spare carriage assembly so that I can just swap a new one in when the old one gets worn. I can then rebuild at my leisure. I popped in a new carriage and all of a sudden my print which consists of 5 pieces has the layers shifting to the right.

It was a bad x stepper. Once replaced my prints returned to normal. I can not figure out how a stepper could do this, never the less it did.

I replaced with an identical stepper.

I decided to figure out what went bad in the stepper as I have more of them. First I printed my parts at a reduced flow of 20% to see if the stepper had a drive problem. Sure enough I print the part with no shift letting me know that it was a resistance problem. I find that the printed filament itself offers resistance to the print head. Next thing I did was take the bad stepper apart and a good one apart. I swapped the bearings in the tops of the two steppers.and put the bad stepper back in. Now it worked fine. I put the previously good stepper with the bearing from the bad stepper back in the machine and my problem returned.

I now knew it was a bad bearing in the stepper. I still do not know how it could shift the print in only one direction. Steppers are cheap and it is not worth finding a replacement bearing.

#1 Lance Weston, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021