1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer has died(?)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mark Gandenberger, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Gandenberger

Mark Gandenberger New Member

Well, I had just started a print and the printer was going through the auto-level sequence when it just stopped. I have posted a photo of what now shows on the display. Any guesses as to the possible cause? Is there any chance that it's something relatively easy to fix, rather than having to replace a board?

IMG_2195.JPG

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If the LCD previously worked and if the printer is still controllable via USB then it is just a bad LCD. Cheap on Amazon...

3. Mark Gandenberger

Based on your reply I did a little more investigating and here is the bottom line: If the printer is ON Simplify3D will not connect and does not show the printer's COM port. If the printer is OFF then S3D will connect, and the display looks normal. Unfortunately, the display then shows a MAXTEMP BED error. I had this same error back in March and, although I switched to a generics RAMPS board, the solution ended up being a new Arduino board. I have another new Arduino here, as well as another new RAMPS, so I guess I'll try the Arduino first and go from there. Now I just have to see if I can find the documentation I used previously!

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Given those extended symptoms I think you are right on the money. The Arduino would be the best starting point and not too hard to do since nothing is directly wired to it :) Just be careful undocking the RAMPS.

5. Mark Gandenberger

Well, there's one other possibility worth considering - operator error! When I started unhooking the printer so I could replace the board I noticed that the ribbon cable for the bed was not connected. After plugging it back in everything seems to be working fine again. I don't know if I forgot to hook it back up previously or if it was not reconnected properly and came loose during the leveling process but that appears to have been the cause of the problem. <heavy sigh>

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.