1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer not printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by techteacher101, Mar 24, 2017.

1. techteacher101

techteacher101 New Member

Hi everyone,

First post I figured I'd try to learn a few things here. My printer had been printing fine right out of the box for two weeks, and now I can't seem to get a print down. The initial dots do print (I'm using a robo 3d1), but when it comes to make the outer layer it does not come down. I think I may not be getting the pla filament in place but I'm not sure.

I have another questions is there a way to manually move the motor up--I can't seem to get the thing to move up (just left or right).

Thanks in advance-rookie here so any info. is appreciated.

2. techteacher101

by the way I managed to figure out moving the extruder up and down--just don't seem to get it to extrude any filament (yes its at 210 and ready to go). even just to test extrude 10mm or 100 mm --something is up with the printer :(

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is the extruder trying to extrude (in other words do thee gears on the extrduer spin when you tell it to extrude)?

4. techteacher101

yes the gear spins- the extruder does not flow out--I've had some weird noises lately as if the motor is not turning on correctly..i do the old tap the motor and it begins to sound normal--not sure if this is connected to the extruder not flowing.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the gears are spinning (and I assume they are spinning the correct way to PULL the filament in) then remove the two spring loaded screws* and open the feed. Check that the hobbed bolt is free of debris and that the filament is actually feeding down from the hobbed section into the top of the hotend.

*carefully -- they are spring loaded and you do not want them rocketing around the room to hunt for**.
    **been there, done that.

#5 mark tomlinson, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  6. techteacher101

ha ha! Yea that happened to me on the first batch of filament I loaded--I'm trying to start from scratch now-clean the surface - give it another shot type of thing-maybe restart the computer the printer etc. hoping for a fix.. I will do that now

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the hobbed bolt has eaten a chunk out of the filament it will not feed so pull it completely back out of the hotend (with hotend hot) and clip off the scrap and refeed it back in. Then close everything back up and give it a go.

8. techteacher101

okay so I tried again set the printer to 210 and continued to move the gear and all of a sudden a bunch of filament came out--i assume filament had been clogged and it finally came out with some force...lets hope that next print comes up (i'm teaching middle school kids)...they are all looking forward to using this :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. techteacher101

we are up and running! thank you - what is the best thing I can put on the plate to help it set good bases--i was told glue or aquanet (hairspray)

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I prefer Aquanet, some folks prefer glue stick.
    If you get the Z offset dial-in correctly they are both (in my opinion) just panacea anyway :)
    If you get good results then go with whatever works for you.

Use the startup GCode block in your slicer to configure the Z offset and do some practice until you find the best number.
    This will get you started at -1.0mm. Go up or down as needed (more negative = further from bed) until you have great looking first layers. I'd suggest tweaking in increments of 0.01.

G28; --home all
    M565 Z-1.0; --set Z offset
    G29; --run autolevel probing

11. shaneaaron

shaneaaron New Member

Hello, i have windows 10 64bit pro 1903 installed on my computer...i have an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fn printer and downloaded the driver+software for windows 10 64bit and installed on my computer. After installation the printer shows under "printers and scanners" but doesnt print the test page or any other document and the printer shows "idle". I have this pc connected to a network of computers and also connected to other printers on the network and can print on them from my default computer... Can anyone help me why i cant print on my installed printer?